By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

trying to identify a wood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fatboy12/09/2011 01:32:29
169 forum posts
116 photos
hi guys, a friend of mine was recently clearing his deceased fathers shed out and came across a piece of wood that neither he or myself can identify, i am hoping to add a foto at some point but for now all i can do is describe it, henrys dad said it came from africa it has a dense interlocking grain and no discernable sapwood, the most startling thing about it is the colour, it is a lovely mid to dark green, henrys dad used to make a lot of musical instrument parts, (chanters and clarinets etc) so it may be a wood specific to that kind of manufacturing, i have only seen a green piece of timber once before and that was a strange piece of mahogany that i never saw again, so does anyone have any ideas? i want to find out about it as i want to give henry a fair price for it.
Simon Reeves12/09/2011 12:55:08
622 forum posts
227 photos
Good question Tony. Nothing in any of the books I've got show anything with a "proper" green colour. I had some lignum vitae ages ago that was quite a dark green/brown, but not all over, and I think you would recognise the grain anyway.

You could try this link and see if anything on there matches (I've never counted the number of timber types on there, but there are LOTS!!):

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm#letterK

Simon
Steve J W17/09/2011 15:27:31
137 forum posts
9 photos
interesting sounding wood, but a pic would be great when you can get one.
jaden fan19/11/2011 07:12:05
14 forum posts
Nice questions...am also same doubt for this...nowadays we searching the how to identify wood materials...
Ralph Harvey20/11/2011 22:15:07
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
The only "green" timber i know of is Locust wood and Laburnum occasionally is green, dont have any pictures and a long time since i have had any Locust wood so not sure if it goes under another name ?

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact