By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Brush with disaster! (not for the squeemish)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee09/09/2011 19:40:15
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thought I would share this as a warning.
I made a start on the oak cabinets today but had a disasterous mishap with the planer! Stupidly I was rushing and feeding the lengths of oak through the blades on my Elu P/T. Without thinking I brushed some dust off the table with a sweep of my hand as two of my fingers went pass the guard straight into the spinning block! :shock: ops: Initially I thought I had just hit the guard with my finger but as I jerked my hand back blood spattered across the workshop! Oh Dear! I didn't dare look to see what I had done. When I plucked up the courage to look I was amazed that I had got away with just cutting a flap on the end quite deep though. Here it is after it had stopped bleeding:

I have never liked those Euro guards on these machines now I think they are downright dangerous! Still I should have known better as I normally blow off any chippings. Well lesson learned and I WONT do that again. I consider myself very lucky and am normally a safe worker. Only the second accident in 20 years so not so bad. I did have the guard in place and low to the blade but nothing guarding the blade where the wood had been fed through, if it had been the pork chop guard this would not have happened.

Edited By Mailee on 09/09/2011 19:41:25

BillW09/09/2011 20:22:15
711 forum posts
21 photos
"Close Shave"

Glad you got away with it.

Bill.
Alan T.09/09/2011 20:47:59
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Does anyone else get that funny sensation in the nether regions on seeing something like this? Lesson learned no doubt. Hope it soon heals up. Cheers Alan T
fatboy09/09/2011 21:30:26
169 forum posts
116 photos
oof! looks nippy mailee, get well soon mate
Drew Marsh09/09/2011 21:42:43
52 forum posts
26 photos
Mailee... Been there, done that... and certainly won't be doing it ever again!!!

still not got full feeling back in my thumb yet.

GAURDS ARE THERE FOR A REASON PEOPLE!!!!

Drew
fatboy10/09/2011 08:47:27
169 forum posts
116 photos
eeeeew, dreeew! i wish i had not just had my breakfast! that looks f***in painful, makes me shiver, just looking at it
Simon Reeves10/09/2011 08:51:50
622 forum posts
227 photos
Definitely buttock clenching for all the injuries!!!! Hope everyone recovers OK.

I agree with Mailee ref the pork chop guard. Why were they ever changed I wonder?

Simon
Tommy mc glynn 110/09/2011 09:15:43
291 forum posts
1 photos
hi mailee hope you get better soon you were lucky . but thank you for showing us what can go worng when we take our eye of the ball. after all we all do from timt to time .
paul wagstaffe10/09/2011 09:30:46
107 forum posts
11 photos
A moment of not thinking can result in a life time of not having all your fingers, seeing this will definitely make me more aware of having a accident, Thank You! I hope you heal soon.

regards
Paul
Big Al10/09/2011 10:00:21
1601 forum posts
73 photos
I have often wondered why we have bridge guards fitted to planers, and not the pork chop spring loaded type that the americans have, it just doesn't make sense.

Hope everything heals for both of you.

Al
Oddjob10/09/2011 13:46:09
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Looks like you were less unlucky than Drew with that one Mailee. I hope you both recover quickly.

Clearly the guards on your planers are not fit for purpose and letters to the manufacturers would not go amiss. I am not really familiar with the terms "bridge" and "pork chop" as descriptions for guards but I'm guessing that one lifts up as the wood passes across the blade and the other moves to the side? If I've got that right then the guard on my P/T (Kity 635) has the best of both worlds as it will either lift up or move to the side dependent on the the timber size and the way you feed it to the machine. Certainly when the guard is in place you wouldn't contact the blade when you "brushed some dust off the table with a sweep of your hand."

Big Al10/09/2011 16:02:03
1601 forum posts
73 photos
Richard, a bridge guard look's like this

And a pork chop type guard look's like this

The main difference between them is that the pork chop style guard is spring loaded so that it alway's cover's the cutter block. The bridge guard is manually set and wont alway's cover the cutter block.

Al
Simon Reeves10/09/2011 16:50:16
622 forum posts
227 photos
The problem with the bridge guard is that you're supposed to cover the blade completely and pass the timber underneath as per Al's photo, which probably makes it as safe as it can be for that sort of guard. However, you can't do that with a tall piece that won't fit underneath, so there's always some part of the blade exposed.

The pork chop guard just gets pushed out of the way as the timber passes over the cutter and springs back again after it's passed completely through. Much safer IMHO.

On the same subject, and regardless of whether all the guards are fitted, don't forget Norm Abram's maxim that he recites on every episode of the NYW - "There is no more important safety rule than to wear safety glasses". If you were really unlucky you might only get 2 chances with your eyes, a left chance and a right chance! There are some really comfortable specs these days, not just the horrible goggles you used to get.

Simon
Derek Lane10/09/2011 21:39:15
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
OUCH that hurt and that was just thinking about it. Hope you both mend well. I have the bridge guard on my machine wish it was the pork chop type
Delboy12/09/2011 16:40:16
36 forum posts
Sorry to say I have also been there - twice now!!!! Bloody hurts doesn't it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact