Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane08/09/2011 15:03:41
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
More about Sam Maloof HERE which may clarify things
Woodbridge Canada08/09/2011 17:44:47
14 forum posts
17 photos
Derek, thanks for the link to this video series with Sam Maloof. I had not seen t his before. I watched the first segment and I'm sure it will be a big help when I try to make a Maloof style rocker.
Paul Jones 410/09/2011 22:07:36
45 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for that link Derek.

I've just spent a few hours this afternoon watching all 13 videos.

Sam looked to be a fascinating character, and watching him make that chair, basically from memory and just eyeing up everything was just brilliant.

fatboy12/09/2011 01:46:37
169 forum posts
116 photos
all i can say is wow! woodbridge (can i call you woody) that is a lovely piece of work, was the back piece made from a single piece of wood? you have achieved an amazing finish, the whole thing almost looks moulded, when i first saw that hat i printed a picture for my inspiration folder because i thought that it would make a lovely frame for a mirror, a chair back didnt even occur to me, as a matter of interest, where did you source your walnut for your maloof chair? i have been trying to source some nice walnut for a project of my own but have not been having much luck so far,
Woodbridge Canada12/09/2011 02:49:23
14 forum posts
17 photos
Thanks for the kind words.

I have been on a chair kick these last fews years as a hobby woodworker so I look at most things and think how it might look as a chair.

The in-progress photo below shows the joints that make up the back. Lots of planing to get the joints to tighten up. The finish is water based stain with 4 coats of satin finish urethane.

My next chair is based on a spoon design.

It is still in progress. I should have it finished in a couple of weeks.

I live in Ontario Canada, (Woodbridge to be exact, which is just north of Toronto) so I am not sure my walnut supplier will be useful to you. It's from a place called "Hardship Acres" in a small town called Elmvale about 100 km north of Toronto.

Delboy20/09/2011 18:25:47
36 forum posts
I first came across the Maloof Joint a few years ago and it seems it was originated by him. I have since come across it a few times and it always seems to be referred to as a "Maloof Join"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact