Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane08/09/2011 15:03:41
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
More about Sam Maloof HERE which may clarify things
Woodbridge Canada08/09/2011 17:44:47
14 forum posts
17 photos
Derek, thanks for the link to this video series with Sam Maloof. I had not seen t his before. I watched the first segment and I'm sure it will be a big help when I try to make a Maloof style rocker.
Paul Jones 410/09/2011 22:07:36
45 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for that link Derek.

I've just spent a few hours this afternoon watching all 13 videos.

Sam looked to be a fascinating character, and watching him make that chair, basically from memory and just eyeing up everything was just brilliant.

fatboy12/09/2011 01:46:37
169 forum posts
116 photos
all i can say is wow! woodbridge (can i call you woody) that is a lovely piece of work, was the back piece made from a single piece of wood? you have achieved an amazing finish, the whole thing almost looks moulded, when i first saw that hat i printed a picture for my inspiration folder because i thought that it would make a lovely frame for a mirror, a chair back didnt even occur to me, as a matter of interest, where did you source your walnut for your maloof chair? i have been trying to source some nice walnut for a project of my own but have not been having much luck so far,
Woodbridge Canada12/09/2011 02:49:23
14 forum posts
17 photos
Thanks for the kind words.

I have been on a chair kick these last fews years as a hobby woodworker so I look at most things and think how it might look as a chair.

The in-progress photo below shows the joints that make up the back. Lots of planing to get the joints to tighten up. The finish is water based stain with 4 coats of satin finish urethane.

My next chair is based on a spoon design.

It is still in progress. I should have it finished in a couple of weeks.

I live in Ontario Canada, (Woodbridge to be exact, which is just north of Toronto) so I am not sure my walnut supplier will be useful to you. It's from a place called "Hardship Acres" in a small town called Elmvale about 100 km north of Toronto.

Delboy20/09/2011 18:25:47
36 forum posts
I first came across the Maloof Joint a few years ago and it seems it was originated by him. I have since come across it a few times and it always seems to be referred to as a "Maloof Join"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact