By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

ELEKTRA BECKUM HC260 PLANER THICKNESSER

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul wagstaffe31/08/2011 08:10:05
107 forum posts
11 photos
Hi, first of all I will start of saying sorry because I know this question has been asked before, I have just turned my blades around on my Thickness Planer (Elektra Beckum HC260) and the machine is not cutting well at all, I have set the blades .004" higher than the table that is the higher of the two. Is this correct or should they be set .004" than the lower of the two tables?

Regards
Paul
Julian31/08/2011 09:03:39
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Paul,

This topic comes up quite regularly, I have a 30 odd year old startrite machine and the book says to set the blades level with the outfeed table. This works for me, there are threads that say the blades should be higher than the out feed table but I can never understand how you will get a good jointed edge as the work will not sit on the outfeed table when passing over the blades. Maybe I am just being blind (not unusual) !
BillW31/08/2011 09:32:59
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hi Paul,
Julian is quite right,
Maybe an easy way to remember "snipe to high" be prepared to make them a bit higher or lower.

A piece of wood with 1/8" marks placed on the outfeed table, turn the cutter block slowly and let the knives drag the wood, this you can use to check if the blade is correct both sides, if my memory serves me right 1/8" = 4thou.

Bill.
Simon Reeves31/08/2011 13:09:09
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Paul

There are a few threads about setting up planers, but I think Julian is right.

I have an Axminster CT105 planer which had a problem that took me ages to figure out and fix. I found that no matter how fine a cut I took, my timber always ended up with a slight taper along its length. It turned out that the knives were set a few thou below the outfeed table, which meant that the first few inches of timber got planed OK, but as soon as I put even light pressure on it over the outfeed table, the back raised ever-so-slightly and very little more was planed. Things got even worse when I mistakenly turned the timber around (I know, probably against the grain ), when I ended up with wood that was tapered from the centre to the ends!

At first I put all this down to curvature in the wood, then to the tables not being exactly in line and finally to poor technique, but it happened so often I suspected something else was wrong (it took me about 6 months to realise this!!!).

I used a long straight edge to check the tables were OK. I then sharpened and re-set the blades so they were flush with the outfeed table when at top dead centre, which fixed the problem completely. I now get a planed edge along the whole length of the wood, and no taper. I think if you were to set the blades higher you might end up with a similar problem as the wood dropped onto the outfeed table (even by just a few thou).

Simon
paul wagstaffe31/08/2011 17:44:34
107 forum posts
11 photos
Problem solved! I took your advise and set the blade height to the same as the out feed table with a dial indicator and now it works fine, thank you all for your kind replies.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact