By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oak external door design / build method

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Make an Oak Bed

Make an Oak Bed

A sneak preview of an article from the February 2010 issue of 'The Woodworker' . SUBSCRIBERS ONLY can download a pdf version of the entire article for FREE!

Bill Wheeler21/08/2011 10:00:46
22 forum posts
Hello

I''d like to make a new front door for my house, it (the house) was built around 1730 so I''m looking for a design in keeping with the period - a solid oak, ledge and brace design 73" x 33" x 1.5" thick with a small window.

However, looking at ''engineered'' doors, they are made as a complete M&T frame with T&G boards as infill - I understand this is for more stability, however, I''m not too keen on this ''modern'' style, preferring an traditional L&B design.

Does anyone have any thoughts, tips etc they would like to share before I embark on this project?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Bill

Simon Reeves21/08/2011 10:25:07
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Bill

Worth taking a look at GWW243, where Iain Whittington made a cross-boarded oak plank door. As he explains in the article, oak tends to move quite a bit with the seasons, so for a L&B door you would need some kind of joint between the boards (e.g. T&G) to cut down on drafts.

Iain also made a proper L&B door in GWW 218 (Sep 2009), which is probably more in keeping with what you are after. He even made "clinched" joints using nails driven in at an angle with an anvil underneath to force the nail back up into the wood.

Simon
Sam21/08/2011 23:23:47
386 forum posts
110 photos
Evening Bill , I would Echo Simon's reference to a CrossBoard door , Both My neighbour has one made from oak about 20 years ago and still looks very good and stable . and my mum inlaw has a very old crossboard door and I mean very old and is as true as the day it was made . This style of door is very good at preventing shrinkage gaps but you will need well acclimatized timber to make it as you will have the internal side of the door exposed to a warm centrally heated house in the winter and very cold and damp weather exposed to the outside at the same time . If you do make one do not scrimp on cheap 2nd grade oak for this .

Kind regards Sam
Big Al22/08/2011 05:59:44
1593 forum posts
73 photos
If you buy quarter sawn oak that will help even better with movement.

Al
Bill Wheeler06/09/2011 20:09:57
22 forum posts
Evening All

Thanks for all your advice, I'll certainly look at Ian's articles and clear the workshop!

hopefully, I'll upload successful completed pics.

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Regards.

BIll

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact