By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Spindle Turning Project

Table Lamp

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian13/08/2011 12:43:27
553 forum posts
28 photos
While everybody seems to be posting their first attempts heres mine from the club.
Every term at the club our trainer Peter Bradwick will run a subject course for it's members, for the summer term the subject was spindle turning, I learned a lot about the tools and turning methods so very worthwhile to me as a beginner. Having only made a few pens and the odd bowl there was a lot of what I would call detailed work in the coves and beads that came out quite well.

The stem is Lime and the base is cherry finished with just sanding sealer and bees wax. Just waiting for the wife to find a shade for it in one of her charity shops. I used a long auger and hollow centre to drill the hole for the cable.
Simon Reeves13/08/2011 13:02:08
622 forum posts
227 photos
That looks absolutely spot on Julian, nice smooth curves, well blended, and the finish looks pretty good too. Well done.

Simon
BillW13/08/2011 17:02:56
711 forum posts
21 photos
First class in every way Julian.
Did you have to mention charity shops, my wife is an addict, she can smell one at 100 yards.

Bill.
paul johnson 213/08/2011 17:42:05
197 forum posts
100 photos
That's first class Julian and the two woods go well together what is the length and width.

Thanks Paul.
Derek Lane13/08/2011 17:57:23
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Nice job Julian I think you have covered most of the things that you can put on a spindle.
What tools did you use
Julian16/08/2011 19:53:51
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Derek -- The piece is 10" long and 2.5" at the widest point. We used 4 chisels the first was the roughing gouge to get rid of the bulk of the waste. A parting tool to take the measured points down to the correct diameter, a skew chisel to smooth off the big bits and a 3/8" spindle gouge to do the rest. It's straight out of Keith Rowley's book. Oh and the skew was also used to define the ridges and get nice sharp edges. I am not sure what is in store for next term but looking forward to it already. -- Julian
Alan T.26/08/2011 20:19:33
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Julian, It's all been said by the others. Well done. Cheers Alan T
Gerrybhoy07/09/2011 13:39:21
104 forum posts
55 photos
Hi Julian,

From one beginner to another, let me say well done.
That's a really nice looking lamp.

I like the way it all seems to flow naturally from one shape to the next (including at the change of wood) - doesn't appear to have any curves/points where it looks like teh shape doesn't fit/suit.

Definitely something I need to try.

Hopefully we'll see more of your work soon.

Gerry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact