By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Practice Turning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane09/08/2011 21:21:09
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thought I would have a good play with the skew chisel, as I am sure that once mastered it could be a great weapon in my arsenal of tools. So produced this goblet which I think that i used the skew for a good 75% of the work on it. Also my first attempt at a captive ring also turned with the skew.
Goblet made from Yew and Olive wood size is 9 1/2" tall, Thinnest stem section is 3/16" and the bowl thickness is 1/16"

BillW09/08/2011 21:33:34
711 forum posts
21 photos
come on now Derek, don't have me put my lathe up for sale again

Nice one or should I say two, which part is joined.
I must do the same, more skew practice, just can't find the time of late.

Bill.
Derek Lane09/08/2011 22:40:49
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
You know you love the lathe.

The top bowl and the foot are Yew and the stem is Olive wood. There is only 1 goblet just a extra photo showing the bowl inside
Simon Reeves10/08/2011 12:48:30
622 forum posts
227 photos
Great bit of precision turning Derek. The skew is not my bestest best friend, so I really need to practice as well. I find with pen turning and the really thin walls it's all too easy to overcook things with a skew and take off just a tad too much.

Simon
BillW10/08/2011 14:49:25
711 forum posts
21 photos
It must be one of those Sods laws, you think you've done so well bringing the diameter down with a skew, half a mill to go and the damn thing doesn't want to cut any more.

Considering you won't have used the skew inside the bowl (75% skew) you must be 95% proficient with the skew, that makes you at least 50% more proficient than me.

Bill.

P.S. I've decided to keep the lathe a little longer.
paul johnson 210/08/2011 19:42:28
197 forum posts
100 photos
Spot on Derek i think its a tool you cant get complacent with, I've just bought a new 1'' skew from sorby I aint used it yet will practice on some scrap wood first, as Bill say's put it to good work and sods law. I like the captive ring its something i have'nt had a go at yet but would like to try its on the list.

Paul
Ron Davis10/08/2011 20:08:15
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Did you say practice turning? Any one who can make this can hardly need practice

Ron
Derek Lane10/08/2011 21:04:47
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks for the compliments guys

Simon
Just do as I did practice on scrap pieces but at the same time turn them into something, even if it is just a light pull.

Bill
Try and find time even if it is only the odd 1/2 hour (Not always easy I know)

Paul
The ring was on my to do list ( another one ticked off). Mind you the list gets longer as more things get added than get taken off.As i said to Simon this was made from the scrap bin.

Ron
If you had seen some of the work that I had used the skew on before this you would understand. I avoided using it and thought it about time i took it seriously with the help from Richard Raffans Video. Just watching Richard using the skew and the techniques he uses certainly made life easier

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact