By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Recycled

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul johnson 230/07/2011 19:03:41
197 forum posts
100 photos
May uncle called over the other day and said do i want half of of his kitchen table he cut in half, not a person to say no in the corner of the shed it goes.
Thinking what i could do with it i remember his wife saying she needed a table for
her hallway to put plants on so off to work i went and this was the result.

Ron Davis30/07/2011 19:15:10
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Good work Paul. getting the legs the same can be a challengs, and yours(on the table!) look good. The only thing I would do differently is to put the moulding on the edges on the lower face, this would make the top appear thinner than it is.
That is just my opinion, as long as SWMO is happy then you have a winner

Ron
paul johnson 230/07/2011 20:24:19
197 forum posts
100 photos
Thanks for the reply Ron, it took me a minute to think what you was saying but that is a valid point it is a bit top heavy but it would of been to much work to reduce the thickness.
I will polish it in the morning a deliver it and im sure he will be happy.

Paul.
Simon Reeves01/08/2011 12:56:47
622 forum posts
227 photos
Nice job Paul. Are the legs and base etc made from the table top as well? If so, extra nice job! Also, having had a go at some long spindles myself recently, yours look just right.

Ref the thickness of the top, I don't think it looks that much too heavy. Furniture makers often make table tops look much more substantial by adding a much narrower strip underneath around the edge. Imagine a 6ft oak table with a 2" thick top - you would never lift it, but you could give a 1" version more "presence" by adding a 1" thick strip under the edge.

Simon
BillW01/08/2011 17:41:51
711 forum posts
21 photos
Nice one Paul.
When I first saw it I agreed with Ron but the more I look at it the more I like it.

It occurred to me today that the desk I am sat at is similar though not as thick.

Bill.
paul johnson 201/08/2011 18:21:45
197 forum posts
100 photos
Thankyou for all your reply's its nice to get some feed back as some posts dont seem to get a response, Simon yes mate all from the old table top, bill the desk could well be a ? i will let you decide.

Paul..
fatboy01/08/2011 23:27:00
169 forum posts
116 photos
that is a cracking piece of work paul, i think the proportions are lovely, does it need to be fixed to the wall or will it be freestanding? what kind of wood do you reckon it is? what kind of polish are you going to apply? hope you put up a finished pic
Derek Lane02/08/2011 10:31:30
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Nice looking table. I also think the top looks too thick as Ron said put another moulding on the underside would solve the problem. Excellent turning on the legs and cross brace
paul johnson 202/08/2011 20:57:25
197 forum posts
100 photos
Thank you all, Fatboy i think it will be ok free standing the table i recycled is pine not the best to turn, and the finish i put on was 2 coats of sanding sealer sanded between coats and then 3 coats of clear wax sorry it went before i could take a photo of the finished look.

Derek i got to agree about the top something Ive learnt off you guy's again, good idea about putting another moulding on it but its to late its gone.

Once again thanks all for your input and advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact