By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A dead pear

This wood any good?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis07/07/2011 21:48:33
1619 forum posts
201 photos
As secretary of the Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club, I sometimes get offers of wood from trees in peoples gardens, sometime still growing!

I had phone call the other day, from a amn whose wife is the rector of a local village. He has a dead peartree in his garden and would it be any good for turning. Turns out that the church is in the village where I used to live and the previous rector was a character. He was an Australian and a bit of a hippie. Somewhere in the past he borrowed a donkey for the school christmas play and found it was his after that as the owner did not want it back. Well this started something as he collected two alpacas, some sheep and another donkey later on. He became known for this and even got an interview on one of the Radio2 daytime programs.

Anyway, is a pear tree, with all its bark stripped off by two alpacas and a donkey and use? i am expected to cut it down myself!

Ron
Gerrybhoy07/07/2011 22:00:12
104 forum posts
55 photos
Hi Ron,

Far from being an expert on the various woods for turning , I got curious about your question and went scouring other forums to see what answers were available.

Pretty much all the ones I found gave a resounding YES to using peartree wood.
Apparently even dead peartree wood will turn well provided it's not started to rot, with some people even suggesting spalting it for some dramatic effects in the grain.

As I said, I'm no expert on this but I'd give it a go if it's free wood.
Cutting it down myself would be a small price to pay if the results were good.

Gerry
BillW07/07/2011 22:19:41
711 forum posts
21 photos
I'd give it a go Ron, energy permitting and if it is rotten you could pass it on to someone with a wood burner, favours for favours.

Fruit tree wood I have seen has some very good grain patterns.

Bill.
Ralph Harvey07/07/2011 23:49:56
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Ron

Pear is a lovely timber to turn it has a relitavelly tight grain for a fruit wood, I would snap it up if you can, and let us see what it comes out like.

Ralph
Ron Davis08/07/2011 13:44:07
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks everyone, I might leaveit until christmas and see if there are any partridges in it!

Ron
dennis wake08/07/2011 15:50:00
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
leave the tree for mee you can have the partrages. im on my way now. all the fruit wood are good to turn.
dennis
Ron Davis08/07/2011 20:06:01
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Dennis, can you do a demo while you are here? I will have the tree cut down, waxed the end of the logs and ready for you to collect!

Ron
George Arnold08/07/2011 20:42:54
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
I don't know how long it has been dead, you will have to check it as wood worm may have started on it, I don't know about partridges, it is probably one of those pesky doves that sit on our roof kicking up a racket cooing at one another!
Other than that it turns lovely, go get it.
George
dennis wake08/07/2011 22:54:30
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
Ron
sorry mate i am half way to you and i haven't got any of my turning gear or pre glued blanks with me so i will have to do it next time i visit. i must apologize now to all your members before yo get them rounded up.
dennis
Ron Davis09/07/2011 19:20:22
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Ok Dennis, I hope you are this way another time, I will have to find a way to control the emthusiasm of my members!

George, nice to hea from you again,you have been quiet lately, I dont think it has been daed long as te Vicar went back ti Australia last year, did not take the alpaca,s though, I think they are in a rare breeds farm, not a lot of alpacas about these days.

Ron
Eric Harvey 111/07/2011 18:13:09
221 forum posts
81 photos
snap it up,even if its spalted,its great to work with,very close grain and very hard,and if you steam it it goes pink,I was given a load of pear and apple some years ago and its great to work with,I have some dramatic colour effects with some of the spalted pieces and pieces that had dead branches inside the trunk ,where the dead bits had turned completely black inside the live wood.
Eric

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Craft Supplies
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact