By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hello from a new wood worker

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
paul wagstaffe22/05/2011 12:30:28
107 forum posts
11 photos
Hello People, I am very new to this wonderful hobby and I have a few questions for you all, hope that's OK?

PS I live in the Isle of Man.

Paul

paul johnson 222/05/2011 17:35:49
197 forum posts
100 photos
Hello Paul, welcome to the site your in the right place there are a tidy bunch of fella's on this site who are always willing to help so dont be affraid to ask, Iv'e only been turning for about 6 months a great hobby.

Paul..
Derek Lane22/05/2011 21:52:11
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Hi and welcome Paul

What area of woodworking are you interested in. Don't be afraid to ask questions someone is sure to come along and know the answer or point you to somewhere that you can get the information
paul wagstaffe22/05/2011 22:51:11
107 forum posts
11 photos
I am interested in furniture making, and particularly if I can use reclaimed material. I hate to see good hard wood go to land fill as my plainer thickness-er can bring old wood back into great material.

Paul
Oddjob23/05/2011 07:59:52
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Welcome Paul. Fire away with your questions - there is sure to be someone here who can help.

Richard
BillW23/05/2011 08:57:35
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hello and welcome Paul.
A man after my own heart "I hate to see good hard wood go to land fill" so do I and live very near one.

Good luck with your projects.

Bill.
paul wagstaffe23/05/2011 11:47:49
107 forum posts
11 photos
Thank you for your kind replies to my post, I work as a coffee roaster and tea blender and have lots of large pallets dropping coffee and tea at my factory, its such a shame just to burn all of them so I plan to break them down and put them though my thicknesser plainer and use them for some projects. Do any of you use this kind of material?

Paul
Simon Reeves23/05/2011 12:45:49
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Paul and welcome.Sounds like you have an interesting and aromatic job!

Like Bill, I live quite close to the local landfill and often see large lumps of what looks like prefectly good timber being thrown away, so it's great to see someone making best use of the materials at hand. If you have a planer thicknesser I'm sure you don't need to be told to watch out for hidden metal objects in things like pallets. If you haven't already got one, I would invest in a metal detector and check every piece thoroughly before putting it anywhere near your nice sharp blades.

Look forward to seeing some projects, so don't forget to post some pics.

Simon
BillW23/05/2011 12:55:14
711 forum posts
21 photos
What an interesting job Paul.
When I was working I had access to machinery packing cases, I made a fence over 100ft long form these, at the time they were knocking a lot of houses down and I got floor joist for the post.
Behind where I live is a smallholding that has been neglected for quite a while but in the last year has been taken over by inheritance, the new owner is very much into re-cycling and has a contact for pallets and packing cases, he has done loads of fencing, garden furniture and greenhouse staging from these.
Some wood from pallets is not very good for anything else but if your pallets are coming in from the tea and coffee producing countries there could be some very good hard wood amongst them, I made a garden table many years ago from some wood that looked very much like teak that was a pallet, it lasted years without any treatment, the offcuts burnt like hardwood.

Bill.
paul wagstaffe23/05/2011 16:18:27
107 forum posts
11 photos
I order coffee from brokers in the UK, the coffee is from all over the world as far as Australia to the central Americas and Brazil, the tea's I blend mainly come from Africa. I blend the tea to my own recipe called "Fairy Bridge" witch is a place in the I.O.M. If you Google Fairy Bridge Tea in the isle of Man, that's me! I roast my coffee in a Victorian coffee roaster and again blend my own coffee's. The pallets are some times hard wood. Thanks for the advise about the Metal Detector.
Paul
steve h24/05/2011 23:42:51
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Paul and welcome - will take a look at your site - huge coffee addict - if the doc knew how many cups I pack away everyday - he ban me for life - I can smell one brewing now - mmm
fatboy25/05/2011 04:52:50
169 forum posts
116 photos
welcome to the site paul, if you ever have any woodcarving questions i can probably help you, as to using pallets etc, when the local windfarm was being built there were some huge pieces of machinery in packing cases and i managed to snag some of the wood, pine but 4 x 2s and 4 x 4s and i made myself a double bed, ill stick some photos up when i get round to it, once again, welcome!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact