By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Name the Period

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joppy11/05/2011 19:15:18
32 forum posts
5 photos
While I was reading a book of designs from the '20s and '30s this morning it ocurred to me that there is no generic name for that period. We have Victorian and Edwardian, but what follows? We can't call it Georgian really can we? That would get too confusing, and using the Art Nouveau title is too narrow in scope. Any ideas?
BillW11/05/2011 19:55:42
711 forum posts
21 photos
An interesting one Joppy.
My wife is very interested in history, she suggest Art Deco , started in the 20's and ran into the 30's.
Personally there's not much from this period that I like..

Bill.
Mailee11/05/2011 21:58:58
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I am sure your wife is correct Bill, I have always known that period as Art deco in furnishings.
Derek Lane11/05/2011 22:07:25
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
it also has another name in the furniture world and that is "modern"
Not sure if this will come out but have made a list for the furniture dates. Just click on images and enlarge

Edited By Derek Lane on 11/05/2011 22:08:44

Joppy11/05/2011 22:45:18
32 forum posts
5 photos
A little more thought shows that a lot of periods are named after the appropriate monarch(s) so how about 'wINDSOR'; Didn't George V change the family name in WW1? That could bring things right up to date.
BillW11/05/2011 23:15:06
711 forum posts
21 photos
I find Derek's last entry very disturbing, Elisabeth 11, Utility, CHIPBOARD.

Modern could start at the beginning of the 19th century (1800 ) if you we were referring to music, modern also get's confused with modernism but we are referring to furniture I presume.

You are quite right Joppy that on that basis it could be called the Windsor period but it is not accepted, hush hush. (I have no objections)

Is there any authority that names periods.

Bill.

Joppy12/05/2011 07:40:30
32 forum posts
5 photos
I agree that 'modern' doesn't seem right. After all, it won't be that in another 100 years, will it? Perhaps it should only be used for the 50 years before a present date.In my mind 'art deco' and 'art nouveau' are styles rather than periods so I was fishing around for a generic name to cover the era as a whole. I know it would take more powerful influences than our little forum to get a recognised title. I just wondered what others thought.
Simon Reeves12/05/2011 13:05:48
622 forum posts
227 photos
How about Postmodern, although the term probably spans a greater period than just the 20's & 30's. Also come across "Live Edge" for some of the "contemporary" stuff.

Bill's right about Utility/chipboard - sends shudders down your spine. I'm sure chipboard has its place, but I'm not sure quality furniture is it!

Simon
Derek Lane12/05/2011 18:22:53
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
You was not the only one's to find it disturbing so did I when I first found it. I suppose that G Plan furniture comes into this bracket.
BillW12/05/2011 22:17:16
711 forum posts
21 photos
I think I was getting confused with style and period, maybe because we have such as Victorian that covers both.
My wife and I had a long talk and did a bit of research this morning (from William the Conqueror to the present Monarchy).
I won't attempt to write our findings, it would take to long and above my capabilities, we agree that Modern seems wrong, taking everything into account we think the present period should be Windsor, (as mentioned by yourself Joppy) changed during WW1 from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha but the period of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha/Windsor covers a lot of different furniture styles.

Thanks for bringing it up Joppy, it helps keep the brain active.

Bill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact