By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Corner display cabinet

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee03/05/2011 18:40:12
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I have just finished this corner cabinet for a customer. Well almost as I have had to order the glass. It is MRMDF painted in a satin sheen AC. There will be three glass shelves in the top section to display glassware.

Delboy03/05/2011 19:48:00
36 forum posts
That looks the business Mailee. Do you hand paint or spray?
Mailee03/05/2011 20:27:33
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thanks Delboy. I spray the finishes, much quicker.
BillW03/05/2011 21:57:27
711 forum posts
21 photos
Very nice Mailee,
You say this is made of MRMDF, never used it, do you use normal joints, I'm thinking of the door in at the bottom, is this made in a traditional way.

Bill.
Mailee03/05/2011 23:14:19
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thanks Bill. Yes I use the same joints on the doors although I should mention that some of it is made in wood as the hinge stile is made from wood and the main door on the top section is also made of wood as it will have to carry the weight of the glass. MRMDF is great stuff for painted furniture as it is more dense than the usual fluffy stuff but it still wont hold a screw very well. I biscuit all of the joints on the MDF which the main carcase is made of. There is also a wooden section on the hinge side of the top carcase to take the screws for the hinges. An alternative system to use would have been to inset dowels for the screws to hold into but a full wooden section is stronger for the weight of a glass door. HTH.
Simon Reeves04/05/2011 13:22:59
622 forum posts
227 photos
Nice one Mailee. Don't think I had heard of MRMDF until now (I assume the MR means "Moisture Resistant").

Does this one have a large base, or a small top? Ours at home is almost the same size all the way up, with only a tiny ledge in the middle at the top of the cupboard.

Glad to see the work is still good and steady.

Simon
BillW04/05/2011 16:53:23
711 forum posts
21 photos
Thank you for such a detailed explanation, you've covered just about everything I was thinking of.

Like Simon I had never heard of it, so did a google, it would appear there are different qualities, some not so good, could you expand on what you use, do you go for a particular make.

Thanks Bill.
Mailee04/05/2011 18:14:11
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
It is the top section that is narrow Simon as this has to fit between a window which is 9" from the corner. On the other wall there is more space so this side is wider to suit. Yes Bill MRMDF is widely used by cabinet makers When a painted finish is required as it is stable and takes paint very well. I use the type named Medite which you can tell from it's colour as it is green. There are some available which are green on the inside but still the buff colour on the outside and this although ok seems slightly inferior for finishing. It is as you would expect more expensive than standard MDF at around £25 per sheet but there are savings on the paint and the work required to finish it. HTH.
Mailee06/05/2011 17:37:40
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I got the display cabinet delivered and fitted today. Glad to say the customer was very pleased with it.

My customer told me he had contacted another cabinet maker first who came and had a look at the job in hand and said he would return with a price......he didn't! Well his loss is my gain as the customer said he will definitely recommend me in the future. :D
BillW06/05/2011 20:17:29
711 forum posts
21 photos
It looks even better in situ and a good feeling when you have gained a job through another's foolishness and maybe more.

I had a look on my local timber merchants web site, they only do MRMDF to order, standard is about £22 odd.

Bill.
Mailee06/05/2011 21:49:45
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Yes I think I have gained another good customer there Bill. It is a shame your local merchants have to order MRMDF. Mine keeps a good stock of it in 18mm as it is so popular here. When you say the standard is £22 is that MRMDF or the low cost fluffy stuff? I pay £13 per sheet for the low cost stuff and £25 per sheet for the MR including VAT.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact