By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New to site just saying hello

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
TANZARELLI18/04/2011 23:53:59
3 forum posts
1 photos
Hi all,

I am new to the site and just wanted to say hi.

I haven't done any wood turning yet but would like to give it a go. Hope to use the site to get some ideas of how to do this.

I am a Youth Worker by trade just going through redundancy with a locla authority youth service and love making things out of wood in my spare time.

I have made toy chests and use a lot of drift wood to make pictures and like to use mainly reclaimed materials whenever I can.

I do a lot of simple things currntley but hope to get more experienced when I have more time to spend working with wood.

Any tips will be most welcomed and thanks for access to a great forum. I can see there are some highly skilled wood workers on here.

Thanks

Tanz
Derek Lane19/04/2011 00:11:26
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Hi Tanz welcome to the site I am sure you will get plenty of help. No question is silly if you don't know just ask away.

TANZARELLI19/04/2011 00:18:41
3 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks Derek.

I am sure I will have loads to ask. Been buying loats of tools lately, morticing machine, bench planer both Nu Tool. Also a cheap 3 wheel bandsaw - burgess BK3 MK11 which I picked up fo £19.00. Not got a lot of space so need to get things which I can move around my cellar etc so bit lathes would be a no no. Could you recomend a small one which might be good for a beginner at wood turning?

Or shall I start a thread in the lathe question section?

Tanz
Derek Lane19/04/2011 15:04:10
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Try Axminster Tools for a small lathe HERE and HERE.
I have the first one and find it great ideal for small workshop. Also it has Variable speed which I find very helpful

But please remember that you are limited to the size you can turn in diameter and length, check the specs on them and any other lathe you look at.

Hope this is a start I am sure others will come along with their preferences

Edited By Derek Lane on 19/04/2011 15:05:23

paul johnson 219/04/2011 19:24:49
197 forum posts
100 photos
hello Tanz, welcome to the forum Iv'e only been a member for a few months and I got to say the fella's on here are a friendly lot alway's willing to help out with any questions you got. You mentioned you are looking for a lathe the one Derek give you the link to is a very nice lathe, Iv'e just borrowed the same lathe from the club im in and was so pleased with it Iv'e just ordered one. As derek said it has got its limits hope this helps you a bit.

Paul..
fatboy19/04/2011 19:27:54
169 forum posts
116 photos
hi tanz welcome to the site, as derek says, there are no stupid questions, everyones dead friendly here, ask away
tony
Doug19/04/2011 22:01:16
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Tanz & welcome.

If you fill in your profile a bit giving a rough idea of your location, members might be able to point you in the direction of local clubs etc.

Welcome aboard.

Baz.
BillW19/04/2011 22:03:11
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hi Tanz and welcome,
My lathe is very similar to the first link but by another manufacturer and I'm very pleased with it, yes I would love to turn a tree trunk but we have to be realistic regarding cost and work space.
I'm of retirement age and although I have a lot of other skills I am still learning, (very grateful of that fact) only a foolish person would consider another's question stupid.
As stated above a grand bunch of helpful and knowledgeable people on here.

Bill.
Simon Reeves20/04/2011 13:27:40
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Tanz - just to echo all the other replies, welcome to the forum. Don't forget that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Make sure you post some pix once you get going, and let us all know how you are getting on.

Simon

Sam20/04/2011 20:20:36
386 forum posts
110 photos
Hi and welcome , right proper friendly bunch here . Good luck with the new venture . There is a fountain of knowledge here . I am learning to turn aswell . But one thing I will say is to learn what each tool is used for and then just give it a go , there is only so much a book can teach you and you just have to jump in and learn the hard way , but it is fun all the way .

Good luck and keep posting .

Kind regards Sam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact