By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Robert Sorby Tool post

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Kinch15/04/2011 20:35:09
206 forum posts
91 photos
Has anybody got one of these tool posts? I am trying to find out what thread is used for mounting the cross-bars. I bought a post at the woodworking exhibition but it was too short for my lathe and a freind has offered to make one for me but needs to know the thread size for screwing on the tool rests.

John K.
dennis wake15/04/2011 22:56:10
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi John
if you measure the threads on the shaft you have got. most threads are measured in teeth per inch. so tell me the size of the width of the thread and also the amount of threads you have per inch and i can tell you the tapping you need. if you only have 1/2 inch of thread then double the amount of threads you counted. i hope this is understandable and of use.
dennis
Julian16/04/2011 11:36:50
547 forum posts
28 photos
Hi John - It doesn't say in the instruction sheet what the thread size is but as it's British made I would think that it's a metric thread. It isn't ISO Metric M8 as it's too coarse, but measuring the diameter and the pitch I recon it's ISO Metric Course M8. I am sure that a quick call to Robert Sorby will confirm or correct this. Let us know what you find. Julian
John Kinch17/04/2011 15:09:28
206 forum posts
91 photos
Dennis, I left the post with my freind so can't measure.

Julian, I phoned Robert Sorby on Friday but they shut at 1o'clock.
Julian22/04/2011 09:51:44
547 forum posts
28 photos
John -- I have been into the workshop and measured mine, It is a standard M8 Coarse that you can buy at any DIY Shop. If you take the bolt with you it will measure up quite nicely. The thread pitch is 1.25mm x 8mm. Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact