By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Association of Woodturners of Great Britain International Seminar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Atkinson04/04/2011 22:10:36
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi all

The AWGB Internation Seminar is scheduled for the weekend 12 to 14 August. It is a great opportunity to see turners for around the world. Loads of fun and educational too.

Check out www.woodturners.co.uk for more information and application forms.

Cheers Dave

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 04/04/2011 22:15:54

Doug05/04/2011 08:34:27
3415 forum posts
35 photos
>>Here`s<< a direct link to the site Dave mentioned.

Dave,

Could you give a brief description of the weekend, for instance, do you get a full 3 days? I see the price for non members is £225, but for 3 days that`s £75 a day which for all the talent () on show isn`t a bad price.

I would be interested, luckily i`m fairly close to loughborough, but it would be nice to get some first hand knowledge of the event before i splash the cash .

Cheers.

Baz.
Alan T.12/04/2011 20:31:35
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Dave, Like Baz I do not live too far from Loughborough. Is it possible just to turn up and pay at the door without booking in advance. Cheers Alan T.
Ralph Harvey12/04/2011 22:07:59
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I am not so keen,

The aim of the AWGB as far as i thought was to promote woodturning, holding a 3 day event and charging £225 might seem a fair price if you have that kind of money,

Some people can not afford that but would like to get there anyway, i would rellish the chance to see Hans Weisflogg at work it is something i have wanted to see since i turned my first lattice over 15 years ago.

I am out of work through health reasons and there is no way i could even consider that kind of layout, why cant there be a day rate,

And as for the £75 a day to see those turners demonstrating, i have never paid that to attend a show, or club demo i cant think of anywhere i might expect to pay that ?

Ralph
Simon Reeves13/04/2011 12:44:10
622 forum posts
227 photos
'Fraid I agree with Ralph. £225 is a lot to fork out, certainly a lot more than I would make in selling stuff over even quite a long period. If the AWGB is to promote turning, then surely there must be a cheaper way of doing it that more (a LOT more!) people could afford or were prepared to pay.

Simon
Ralph Harvey14/04/2011 12:09:46
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I like the AWGB under normal circumstances, they do a lot to promote woodturning for young and old alike,

This event is however aimed at the more well off turner, what about the more average turner who has barely enough disposable cash to keep themselfes in timber,

I realise it costs to put on such an event as this but why not cut the cost by making it a smaller event maybe even several smaller events around the country so more of us can attend rather than just the elite ?

I havnt yet renewed my membership initally i just forgot but on reflection i dont know what i actually get out of it ?

Ralph
Alan T.14/04/2011 19:20:46
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Guys, Exactly my point . Why oh why is it not possible to just turn up and pay for a day or even half a day without all the expensive commitment. It does not make sense. For one thing I could not afford the cost or the time to spend 3 days there. Alan T.
Peter Martin 411/08/2011 09:47:26
1 forum posts
It is obviously very expensive to bring in the best in the world and more smaller events will not necessarily reduce the cost as you still have to pay the presenters and the accomodation. The aspirations of those who do not wish to pay to see these people can be met by joining an affiliated club who will provide quality professional turners at the sort of cost that everyone can afford. The AWGB website will give details of clubs local to you.

Peter
Ralph Harvey12/08/2011 15:10:17
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I can see your point

However i know of 2 other occassions Hans Weisflog has demmonstrated in this country, one was a free to enter event with several other professional demonstrators at Craft Supplies in the 90s, sadly i could not make that time as i was demonstrating at Yandles the same day

The other time was when i was not able to turn, but the point is neither time was it necessary to charge a fee to visitors that is clearelly out of the price range of most but the well off turners,

I have been interested in turning lattices for more years than i can remember i demonstrated the many methods, including curved lattices for many years as well as writing several articles in the 90s

The chance to see Hans at work is something i would normally give my right arm for but that price is just rediculouse ! there is no way i could afford it.

I think this is an organisation that has lost or is loosing its touch on reality either that or they just dont want the riff raff to spoil there day out !

Sorry but i just say it like i see it.

Ralph
BillW12/08/2011 22:44:13
711 forum posts
21 photos
If it is of any consolation Ralph, reading this post I will not be joining the AWGB, a wood turner since November 2010.

Bill.
Ralph Harvey14/08/2011 11:58:04
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
And thats the shame of it Bill, we need an organisation that will bring us all together not show off the eliete !

Ralph
Simon Reeves14/08/2011 13:21:07
622 forum posts
227 photos
Speaking of the elite and Yandles, the Yandles Autumn show is on in a few weeks (9/10 Sept). Presumably the AWGB will have a stand as per the Spring show? If so, I'll try to take a few photos so we mere mortals can see how it should be done. Nothing wrong with seeing the best of the best, but as Ralph says, it's a shame there is not another organisation.

One of the more interesting demonstrators at a previous show was Rolly Munro, who was showcasing his hollowing tools. Very impressive, but also pretty damn expensive. If it was half the price I might think about buying one. He's there again this time. Also, Dave Register and several other well known turners, all of whom are only too pleased to answer any questions, and even let you have a go.

For anyone who has not been before, it's worth going just for the coffee shop and fantastic cakes, all locally made. Whatever you do, don't (a) count the calories or (b) go for a cholesterol test the following day!

Simon
Ralph Harvey14/08/2011 17:28:17
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Have to agree Simon, it is a great show, and free !!

Well worth a journey to go and see, i am hoping to get there this time round,

Ralph
Julian16/08/2011 20:03:17
556 forum posts
28 photos
The Spring show was my first Yandles Show and I was impressed with the size and variety of the stalls. I am hoping to go on the Saturday with the club if they can get enough people to warrant a Bus otherwise it will be on the Friday on my own. As far as the AWGB is concerned membership is compulsory at the club and costs £13. I don't begrudge paying this as the club gets it's third party insurance and a lot of assistance for demos and training from them. I like many others couldn't afford £220 to go to the seminar but it really is a matter of free choice, our trainer goes along and thinks it's good value he then brings us a report and a load of photos of the event and we get another talk about it. -- Julian
Ralph Harvey16/08/2011 20:18:12
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Julian

I wish there was a club close enough to me, all i keep getting is "why dont you start one" as to the anual subscription, for you it represents good value as you get something from it, I however object to paying to be a member of an organisation that dose little for me and then charges a weeks wages to attend the only event that interests me in the year.

Still it will be interesting to see if there is any feedback from the seminar or wether they just ignor the grumbles and just tell us what a wonderful time they had !

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact