Pen for me

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BillW01/04/2011 14:24:29
711 forum posts
21 photos

It's time to make myself a pen.
It's Hawthorn.
Should I have the dark wood at the clip or nib end OR should I take two dark ends for the top and bottom of the pen.

Bill.
dennis wake01/04/2011 17:31:53
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Bill
at the end of the day only you can make that decision. my thoughts are that they look better when the grain flows from one end to the other matching the grain flow.
good luck and show use the end pen wont you.
dennis
Alan T.01/04/2011 19:12:28
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Bill, Whichever you choose I'm sure it will be fine. Never used or even seen hawthorn wood before so will be interested in the finished article when complete. Which finish do you plan on using? Wait with interest. Cheers Alan T.
paul johnson 201/04/2011 19:27:35
197 forum posts
100 photos
The pen bug must be in the air look forward to the pic's Bill, I will have to do some re search on it and maybe have a go myself.

Paul..
BillW01/04/2011 20:03:31
711 forum posts
21 photos
Dennis, my soul tells me to make the pen from the same piece.

Alan I have a picture in my album of a pen made from the same branch I chopped off last year, are you ready for this ............ the tree has just been felled and I have been given it along with some flowering cherry.
I will give it two coats of sanding sealer and then carnauba wax.

Have a look in the how-to's Paul.

Bill.
Derek Lane03/04/2011 14:59:52
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Bill you probably have already turned this pen but I like to use one piece of wood cut in half then when assembled the grain matches. Looks a little more professional even if it is only for yourself as you probably will show it to other people.
Alan T.03/04/2011 17:05:01
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Bill, Looked in your album, The hawthorn goes very well with the dark fittings.Cheers Alan T.
BillW03/04/2011 23:43:37
711 forum posts
21 photos
Derek, it was very tempting seeing the beauty of the wood but I will go with convention, no I have not started on it yet, been to busy this weekend, maybe during the week.

Alan, the black fittings reminded me of the thorns on Hawthorn.

Bill.
Doug05/04/2011 09:06:30
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hows your pen going Bill?

My preference would be dark at the nimb, with the grain running all the way up the pen, but each to their own.

Cheers.

Baz.
Wolfie05/04/2011 15:43:03
406 forum posts
76 photos
Hi Bill, I don't suppose that it will really matter what way round it goes. I like the one you have in your album. well done

cheers Ian
Simon Reeves06/04/2011 13:12:48
622 forum posts
227 photos
I agree with Derek - it always looks more professional if you align the grain. Same applies to making other items as well I think - align/match the grain, align visible screws etc. Just shows you have put the effort in.

Have you tried making an end grain pen? I made some pen blanks from a cocobolo bowl blank that had split. The end result had a really striking pattern to it (no photo unfortunately), but it was an absolute nightmare to turn, with really hard end grain whizzing round at a rate of knots. It needed a REALLY light touch and I was always afraid it would disintegrate.

Simon
BillW08/04/2011 15:31:25
711 forum posts
21 photos
Thanks everyone for your input, I decided to go with convention.
This pen nearly ended up on Dennis's disaster table twice, when drilling the dark end the drill wandered off centre, there was only just enough wood left to turn to size, then I just couldn't get the finish I wanted, ended up sanding again and re-waxing.

To cap it all I couldn't get the photo right, second time around the computer didn't want to recognise the memory card, theses things are sent to try us, have I not had enough trying already.

Bill.
paul johnson 208/04/2011 19:47:16
197 forum posts
100 photos
very nice pen indeed their Bill i think you got to grips with making them now well done.

Paul..
dennis wake08/04/2011 20:01:24
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Bill
very nice pen if i say so my self. you have definitely got the hang of it .
dennis
dennis wake08/04/2011 22:35:39
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi All
just thought that i would share with you all a pen that my better half has just finished. it is made from beads. ( yes i know it is a woodwork site) but just on the subject of pens.

dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact