By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Fun with these doors!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee29/03/2011 20:58:23
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I have just finished making these kitchen cabinet doors for a customer. The brief was two 300mm doors and drawer fronts and one 600mm door and drawer front to match the ones he already had. It took a lot of work to get there having to use a lot of different router cutters both hand held and in the table but I think it was worth it.
These are the finished articles:

And in this next shot the original doors are on the left:

I couldn't get an exact match on the colour but hte customer understood this anyway. Glad to see the back of them though.
BillW29/03/2011 21:11:27
711 forum posts
21 photos
You've done well there Mailee, I should imagine a lot of these draw/door fronts are made with custom cutters.

Bill.
fatboy30/03/2011 01:38:34
169 forum posts
116 photos
that is impressive mailee im swure if the guy scrubbed up the old ones and gave them a wax or oil, the difference would be negligible, i certainly can see very little different well done!
Simon Reeves30/03/2011 13:02:51
622 forum posts
227 photos
Lovely job Mailee. Colour matching can be a real pain, even on a small article, so I think the job you've done there is excellent.

Simon
Wolfie30/03/2011 14:48:59
406 forum posts
76 photos
once again a lovely job Mailee. I am sure your client will be delighted with them. As Tony said, I can't see any decernable difference in the colour either. well done.
cheers Ian
paul johnson 230/03/2011 18:04:01
197 forum posts
100 photos
Fair play mailee you got the match perfect and as for the colour spot on in my eyes.
Mailee30/03/2011 20:26:03
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thanks guys. Today I rang the customer and asked which side he wanted the hinges. It appears his wife had given me the wrong instructions and I should have made a 500mm door and drawer front instead off the 600! He said he had kicked his dear wifes A*se and asked me if I could make another door and front 500mm wide. He is going to take the 600 set as well and use them for an end panel. He is paying me more too of course. Anyway After he had paid me a visit to look at the doors I had already made he was delighted with them. So this afternoon I got started again on the 'extra' door. I firstly made that difficult top moulding to get it out of the way.

As you can see the top of the rail is longer than the scribe, hence the reason I had to add the top moulding after scribing the rail. Anyway by the end of the day I had completed the door frame:

I ran out of Oak for the panel so will have to buy some more tomorrow. In the meantime I got the drawer front finished and ready for staining. Not a bad days work really.
BillW30/03/2011 21:29:22
711 forum posts
21 photos
So in a round about sort of way you are grateful for his wife's mistake, more money in the pocket.
Bill.
Mailee31/03/2011 17:54:16
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I bought some more oak for the door panel today. I spent this morning maching it up and managed to get it in glue up.

Then I had time to make a start on some cupboard doors in pine.

I shan't get back into the workshop until tomorrow afternoon as I am fitting some doors in the morning. :D
Michael Shields05/04/2011 08:55:06
51 forum posts
21 photos
hi mailee beutiful set of doors, can,t believe how quick you work that replacement door would of taken me ages are doors your speciality?. the match looks excellant on photo i know how hard it is to colour match.
regards mike shields

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact