By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Axminster - North West

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BillW26/03/2011 21:33:00
711 forum posts
21 photos
I have just noticed that Axminster tools are opening a store at Warrington in April.

It would take a long time to fully explain but after visiting the Harrogate show and being very disappointed that Axminster were not there and being a man of strong principals I pledged to myself that I would not buy anything from Axminster, my view was if they were not prepared to support the north of England I was not prepared to buy from them.

They have lost the sale of a mini lathe, chuck and chisels, I was going to buy a Jet V/S, I bought a Warco mini lathe at Harrogate, (chuck and chisels from other retailers), I have been very tempted since Harrogate to buy from Axminster when buying other goodies but stuck to my principals and bought elsewhere, favouring northern retailers.

I am in the market for other machinery and all the other goodies that go with starting a new hobby, Axminster now have a second chance.

Bill.
Julian26/03/2011 22:59:49
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Bill, I wouldn't rule out Axminster at all. My experiences of them have only been good. the supply and service that I have had from them have been superb. - Julian
Doug27/03/2011 10:26:54
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I can understand your principals Bill, it seemed a shame to me that they didn`t bother with what must be one of the best attended shows.

That said, possibly the logistics & cost were too much for them to consider Harrogate, perhaps with this new store being considerably closer to Harrogate than any other of their stores, they may consider standing this year, i hope so.

Cheers.

Baz.
Derek Lane27/03/2011 11:04:40
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Never had aproblem with them Bill. If a problem arises then it is sorted.
If you are into pens then they have a good selection including the bushings.
Ron Davis27/03/2011 19:29:24
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Bill. I was alos disappointed that Axminster stopped going to All PAlly, I think they have stopped doing shows full stop.other than thier own of course. Dont take it personally, we would like to see them at shows but simple economics rule here I reckon

Ron
Dave Atkinson28/03/2011 10:48:37
672 forum posts
115 photos
I'm looking forward to them opening in Warrington - I'm told it should be some time mid April - they have a place in Nuneaton as well - which is almost North!

I'm thinking of buying the new Axminster Variable speed lathe (1416) and would quite like to see before I buy and Warrington is less than an hour away.

I think that not attending shows has a lot to do with the cost of attending vs the return on the investment. After all they are there to do business and I suspect much of their business is via the internet these days.

Cheers Dave

BillW28/03/2011 12:09:45
711 forum posts
21 photos
I was told by a few people at Harrogate that they don't do shows and I can fully understand the financial implications, Nuneaton is 2 1/2 hrs from where I live, to far.
I guess it's a sign of changing times but I won't change, I won't buy unless I can inspect the goods before hand.

Dave I was going to buy the 1220vs or 1416vs, ended up buying the Warco at £150, identical to the AWVSL, it has a couple of alignment problems but once it is out of guarantee I can sort it, it is strange that Warco still don't have it on their web site.

I wish Axminster all the best for the future, I have no doubt about their after sales service from what I have read on here and elsewhere and will defiantly be paying them a visit or two.

Bill.

Alan T.28/03/2011 19:54:09
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Bill, I have had a mixed view of Axminster recently. Their enviable reputation for service is not as good as it used to be. I placed an order for a chuck and jaws in response to a magazine ad in late December which was finally completed in mid February. A subsequent inquiry for a drill bit was met with 'out of stock'. Got one next day from Turner's Retreat. Hope they are not going down the same road as Craft Supplies. Cheers Alan T.
BillW28/03/2011 22:09:12
711 forum posts
21 photos
I sincerely hope they are not loosing their grip on customer service now they within reach of the North West of England, any company can have a hiccup but there is a saying that is very appropriate for me, a dog can bite me once but it won't bite me a second time..

Bill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact