By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Blue Stilton Cigar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane13/03/2011 12:26:41
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Started this yesterday just to pass away a couple of hours. then my barrel trimmer broke. Always happens on a weekend.
Anyway wanting to get it finished rather than leave it laying around turned to number 3 lathe (the metal one) and knocked up a replacement

Bottom one is the broken one.
Anyway finished pen this morning it is a Cigar pen in black with a blank called Blue Stilton
Simon Reeves13/03/2011 15:58:57
622 forum posts
227 photos
Nice one Derek, super finish as always. The blank has a sort of Chinese porcelain look about it. I've had a couple of polyester blanks where the trimmer has split a small piece off the end, but never one where the trimmer broke .
Derek Lane13/03/2011 18:45:47
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Thanks Simon just lucky that I was able to just knock up a new piece for the trimmer. I did not reproduce the glue cutter/cleaner at the front as I found these sometimes leave score marks inside the barrels of the pens
BillW13/03/2011 21:51:37
711 forum posts
21 photos
Nice one Derek, the shiny black goes very well with the blue veins.

I don't use a barrel trimmer any more, I made a very simple jig to trim them on my disk sander, interesting trimming the Corian, I had to go very carefully, it had a tendency to bite.

I keep thinking of buying a mini metal lathe, there's so many things I could improve in relation to my wood turning.

Bill.
Doug14/03/2011 17:07:07
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Nice pen Derek,

The colours in the acrylic are very subtle,

Cheers.

Baz.
Alan T.15/03/2011 19:44:16
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Very nice pen Derek. Like Bill I don't use a trimmer, and also use a disc sander with square attached. as soon as the barrel touches the disc the sound changes. I clean out the bore with a 6.3 mm drill hand held in an old drill chuck.Never had any problems this way. Cheers Alan T.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact