By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ally Pally 2011

Strange chacters loose in Getwoodworking live!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Doug14/03/2011 17:14:56
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Thanks for the photos, the standard of work looks excellent.

Congratulations Derek a well deserved placing

From the sounds of things the show is going from strength to strength.

Cheers.

Baz.
Ron Davis14/03/2011 17:20:03
1614 forum posts
201 photos
You are right Derek, George does deserve a prize for the tops!

George, the show in October is ar Cessing Barns near Chelmsford, I have been and had a great day out, there is a bird sactuary there as well which makes it an unusual combination, I can give you details later if you wish

Ron
Julian14/03/2011 21:21:28
552 forum posts
28 photos
Hi George - Well lets just say that it wasn't the one in the middle !

There were so many people around before and during the anouncement
that it was difficult to tell if any of them were forum members
George Arnold15/03/2011 19:45:47
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Julian
You are correct and the other one is Ron! glad you enjoyed your day having made that long journey the one in the middle is an (H)Andy sort of a bloke, did you see the dovetail samples he had on show the marine one was a superb piece of work.

Ron
It will depend on my transport, he picked up a leaflet of one of the stalls and said he might like to go, if he does decide I will let you know,

George

Edited By George Arnold on 15/03/2011 19:48:11

Julian15/03/2011 20:13:04
552 forum posts
28 photos
George - Well I know that Ron is the one on the right from a photo of him
at his club fun night but yes it was a good day out. Three of us came down in the car and shared the petrol so it was about £15 per person which makes it bareable and doable again. I spent most of my budget on a sharpening jig from Robert Sorby and a new 8" bench grinder from record so will be able to have a go at sharpening my turning tools now at home rather than up at the club. Anyway now that I know who I am klooking at I will make myself known to you and Ron if we ever go to the same event again.

Julian
Ron Davis15/03/2011 20:24:26
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Julian, I saw that you bought a robert sorby grinding jig, and an 8" grinder, I bought one of these some while ago and it took me ages to work out why it would not work properly, i had an 8" jig for a 6" grinde, a 1" block of wood sorted that out. You could check your jig as i am not sure whether sorby do the one jig or a 6 and 8" version

Yes we can meet up some time pssible at Cressing Barns in October if you are going

Ron
Julian15/03/2011 21:15:55
552 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Ron - I haven't set it up yet but looking at the desructions it does give you the correct levels to set the jig against so it shouldent matter if you have a 6" or an 8" so long as the table is in the correct position. There is a collar on the tool holder that you have to adjust to fit your wheel. They were very busy on the stand but the guy took time out to show me how to set it up and get the correct angle for the different types of chisel, they did however refuse to give a discount for cash.
Andy King18/03/2011 09:49:56
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi All,

Sorry, i'm a bit late coming in to the thread, i've been trying that new 'Regaine' shampoo on my arms to try and get the hair to grow back after the sharpening demo's! (My head is well past redemption with such stuff!)
It was great to meet a few faces from here, and nice to read comments that the show was pretty well recieved.
There's a huge amount of effort put in behind the scenes, and Clare (Hiscock) has been brilliant in organising the show so its great that her hard work has been appreciated.
Hope to see you all next year!

cheers,
Andy

Ron Davis18/03/2011 19:30:48
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks Andy, to all your other considerable skills you can add a great patience with the lderly.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact