By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ally Pally 2011

Strange chacters loose in Getwoodworking live!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Ron Davis12/03/2011 21:12:34
1613 forum posts
201 photos
I went to the show today and took a few snaps, Imet George Arnold and some other bloke, sure i have seen him somewhere before!

I hav also tried to get allthe competition entries as well and these are in the Albums.

Wonderful stuff from Dennis and Derek as well as many entries of a high standard

Ron

Edited By sparky on 12/03/2011 21:47:18

dennis wake12/03/2011 21:47:20
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ron
thank you for posting the photos.
there are some good lookig turning entries this year.
dennis
Sparky12/03/2011 21:48:09
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Sparky12/03/2011 21:49:10
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Great images Ron, thanks for taking them and sharing
Derek Lane12/03/2011 21:54:58
3215 forum posts
1002 photos
Thanks Ron it is always nice to see all the work. There is some fantastic pieces and many hours work. Was it one category for each table or where they mixed up.

I would not have wanted the job of judging

Looks like mine is on the tilt as the ball normally will self centre

Edited By Derek Lane on 12/03/2011 21:59:33

Ralph Harvey12/03/2011 22:22:27
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Yes congratulations Derek

A very nice piece indeed,

I have put some pictures of the winners in one of my albums, there really was a very high standard of work there.

Ralph
Simon Reeves13/03/2011 09:24:30
622 forum posts
227 photos
Great pieces all of them - shame I couldn't get there to see them in the flesh.It never ceases to amaze me how ingenious, creative and artistic people can be, and how much time and effort gets expended in the name of what for most of us is a hobby. Fantastic job everyone.

Thanks for posting all the pics Ron and Ralph.

Simon

PS - the bloke in the middle of the first photo looks like a distinctly dodgy character to me!
George Arnold13/03/2011 11:41:22
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
Thanks for the pictures very good, I was a bit dissapointed with the way they had marked who had won, when I looked to see who had won all I could see was some little numbers on the card s perhaps it was marked clearer after I had gone,

Derek that was a good piece of work you entered as was Ralphs, The segment vase that Dennis entered was even better in the flesh , I don't know if I am speaking out of turn but the first time I looked to see who had won the judges had just finished, and one remarked that they had considered Dennis's piece for a place but thought the finish was not quite good enough., hard luck Dennis.

All together there was some very nice work exhibited.

George

PS Derek they where mixed up on each table.
George
Julian13/03/2011 12:20:37
552 forum posts
28 photos
Hi George, This post is a bit difficult to read but I was stood next to you on the stand
for a while but didn't know who you were until I saw the photos when I got home.
the Judges put all the pieces on the one table and handed out the Rosets at 3:00pm
there were quite a few people there I couldn't recognise anyone other than Andy
from their avatars. I think all the pieces had their own merits and a lot of skill and time
went into every one so really it's just what the judge preferes on the day.
Anyway it was a great day out for me at any rate. Perhaps we should have a label for
next year.
ROBERT BACON13/03/2011 14:21:45
2 forum posts
Hi to everyone on the forum, I just wanted to comment on the show it was very nice to see both Dennis, Ralph and Derek's work up close, I though that all pieces were of very high standard and may I add my congratulations to Derek. The show its self was very good as were the masterclasses that I attended it was nice to be able to ask question to the experts also trying David Charlesworth and Rob Cosmans planes and getting lace thin full width shavings Andy King was also very helpful, lastly I must say how impressed I was with the lads from Chichester College I did not see the completed work but I was very impressed by the standard they achieved during the show.
Julian13/03/2011 14:55:28
552 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Dennis - I haven't seen the one that won in your catagory posted, I think it's in an album of pictures but they were all very good.

Ron Davis13/03/2011 19:16:55
1613 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks for adding the other pics to the posting Sparky. I am pleased that you all found them interesting.

It was good to meet George and have a chat, Andy was quite patient with our 'pestering' even to the point of taking the snap of me and George.

George also brought me a carrier bag full of spinning tops for my grandsons school, which will make a good addition to the toys we have so far, thanks George.

Rom
Ralph Harvey13/03/2011 19:47:16
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
the winners were

Enthusiast top 3

1st

2nd

3rd

Prestige top 3

1st

2nd

3rd

Ralph

Edited By Ralph Harvey on 13/03/2011 19:49:23

George Arnold14/03/2011 11:11:32
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
Sorry you will not be sitting in the summer house, glad the tops were okay. nice to see you, there is a show nearer to you in October at some barns can't think of the name that looks interesting.
Julian
Which one in the photo did you have down as me?

Derek
Just a thought now you have been selected as a winner will that put you in a different class next time?

Glad every one enjoyed the show, thanks Andy for explaining the reason for a two day show this year.

George
Derek Lane14/03/2011 17:08:58
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Posted by Ron Davis on 13/03/2011 19:16:55
:
George also brought me a carrier bag full of spinning tops for my grandsons school, which will make a good addition to the toys we have so far, thanks George.
Ron
I think George deserves a prize for that Ron.Again thanks for the photo's

George I think you are right unless they change the rules for next year. Unless they mean If you get 1st the you move up and 2nd and 3rd stay in Enthusiast. Will have to check.

Robert Welcome to the forum and thank you.

Alan

Ralph thank you for the kind word and also the pictures

Edited By Derek Lane on 14/03/2011 17:10:40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact