By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Gilded vase

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug08/03/2011 19:17:28
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Thought i`d post todays effort, continuing with my experiments at colouring

This is an Oak vase 5 1/2" high, stained black with Chestnut spirit stain, then the grain pours cleaned out & filled with gold gild wax.

I`ve put a few WIP photos >>here<<

Cheers.

Baz
paul johnson 208/03/2011 19:22:15
197 forum posts
100 photos
I like the gild affect baz its amazing how coulor can change the effect, when you say cleaned out the grain pours can you exsplain how you done it cheer's

Paul.
Dave Atkinson08/03/2011 19:44:03
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Baz

Nice effect. It's on my list to try! I've used ebonising spray on a rim of an ash bowl just lately. Then fill with lime wax.

I use a brass suede brush to remove the softer wood in the grain.

Cheers Dave
Doug08/03/2011 20:17:15
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Cheers Paul,

All i did was to use a toothbrush to remove the dust from the open grain to allow for the wax to take hold, when applied.

Thanks Dave,

I`ve got some liming wax some where so i`ll give it a try,i`ll also look out for a suede brush, the toothbrush wasn`t really as stiff as i`d have liked, thanks for the tip.

I`ve just taken another photo as the colour in the first photo isn`t a true representation .

Cheers,

Baz

Edited By baz on 08/03/2011 20:18:44

Ron Davis08/03/2011 20:17:51
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Baz nice vase, you can of courdse try other colours, this one was done with red acrylic and the gold band simply gold wax. The masking up took longer than the turning!

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 08/03/2011 20:18:32

Doug08/03/2011 20:22:23
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Looks good Ron,

Colouring is new to me so all advice is welcome.

Cheers.

Baz
George Arnold08/03/2011 20:25:43
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Baz
Another nice piece of work, I am not all that keen on colouring, especially when the colouring totaly hides the natural wood , I have seen one demonstrator when he finished it looked more like plastic than wood, it's a good job we all have different taste.

George
Derek Lane08/03/2011 21:12:56
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Nice job Baz not too heavy with the colouring so you can see the grain show through.
Look forward to some more
Dave Atkinson09/03/2011 09:52:29
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Baz

Here's a pic of the bowl. I finished the rim before removing the bowl part, sanded to 400 grit and then used a brass brush along the grain to remove some of the softer growth. Then I sprayed with ebonising lacquer, left it to dry, applied limewax all over and then after a few minutes wiped off the surplus with finishing oil. When you've removed the surplus, just remains to finish off the bowl.

If you have some masking tape it's quite useful to mask the edges of the back of teh bowl to prevent overspray. It's not a big problem as it sands off quite easily, juts means a bit more work.

Cheers Dave

Wolfie09/03/2011 10:53:40
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi Baz,
must say I like the idea of filling the grain like that. It is a lovely effect. Very nice vase.
Dave that is a fine pice of work. I love the grain and finish, well done
cheers Ian
Doug09/03/2011 11:51:08
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi George,

I completely agree with you on the total colouring of timber until it becomes unrecognisable as wood, it may as well be a piece of turned plastic.

I`ve recently seen some quite interesting coloured pieces, where the turners have used colour to emphasize the features of plain pieces of wood, & as i have rather a lot of sycamore, i thought i`d give it a try.

I like the spirit stains as they allow the grain pattern to show through, which in my mind is always a good thing.

Thanks Derek,

I`m pleased with the result particularly as it`s my first attempt.

Dave,

Lovely bowl & some good advice, cheers.

I`ve just bought some Chestnut ebonising spray as i`ve a similar idea as yours, i`ll post photos as & when.

Thanks Ian,

As i get quite a few large off cuts of American oak anything that helps with it`s open grain is a bonus, now i`ve done this one i think i`ll invest in some different coloured gild waxes.

Cheers.

Baz

Ron Davis09/03/2011 19:40:43
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Baz, I have not seen an acrylic in anything but black spray. My vase was done with artists acrylic brushed on, I used a sueds brush as did Dave, and to make sure blew the dust out with an airline

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 09/03/2011 19:41:09

Derek Lane09/03/2011 19:56:20
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Who needs fancy stains

Another method of guilting on black is to use wire wool in vinegar on oak then use the gold guilt.
Here is an experiment I did

Doug09/03/2011 20:23:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Nice effect Derek.

How long does the vinegar take to dry out once applied?

Cheers.

Baz
Derek Lane09/03/2011 20:40:35
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Hi Baz not long I applied the guilt after about 1/2hour. Just pot the wirewool in a jar cover with vinegar leave for a few days then just rub on the oak. I think I did this twice before the guilding.
Once the wire wool has stood for a few days and you used it, I just topped up and sealed the jar. Ready for the next one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact