how to dry wood,

hope you can help?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J W03/03/2011 17:14:53
137 forum posts
9 photos
Hi,

I have not yet got a lathe but keep looking for the right one to turn up but feel i will be buying a new one soon as all the second hand seem v expensive?

i from time to time get to chop down some great wood for turning, i was wandering how it is best to store this wood and dry it ready for turning, all the wood i have kept has started to split?

I have just cut down a Laburnam i have kept it in about 4 - 5 ft sections, i also have many other types of wood but need someadvice off you guys please.

thanking you , steve.
dennis wake03/03/2011 18:16:56
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Steve
firstly if you cover the ends of the logs with PVA glue that will reduce the splitting of them.
if you are getting a reasonable amount of logs to dry for turning it is fare better to have a good idea of the finished item and part turn it leaving about 3/4 to 1" of wall thickness then leave it in your work shop for about 3 to 4 months to dry. the rule of them is 1 year per 1" of thickness for drying of any timber.
if you are going to stor them in log form thenyou need to have a log stor with plenty of air flow but coverd in to keep as much of the weather out as posible.
dennis
Steve J W03/03/2011 18:34:20
137 forum posts
9 photos
Thankyou for the reply Dennis, i will cut the timber into sections then pva the ends, all i need now is a lathe.
Derek Lane03/03/2011 19:11:10
3204 forum posts
990 photos
do as Dennis said also another thing that can be done is to cut them into bowl blanks(as you have not yet got a lathe )then seal them. They will take longer to dry compared to the rough turned blanks. I also get a permanent marker and mark start wieght on them and date I stored them this helps to keep a track of them especialy if you have a lot
BillW03/03/2011 20:04:06
711 forum posts
21 photos
I think this is related to the original post.
Is there a best time of year to fell wood if you have the choice.

Good luck on your search for a lathe Steven, with all this wood you must be itching to get turning.

Bill.
Ron Davis03/03/2011 20:48:38
1607 forum posts
201 photos
Bill, in the dead of winter when you freeze your n**s off cutting it down.

Do it when there is no sap flowing, less water and less staining. If you cut sycamore, so I am told, you will see the water run out if you stand it up. If you do not stand it there is a real chance it will develop blue stains from the fungi in the wood feeding on the sap,

Ron
BillW03/03/2011 21:14:30
711 forum posts
21 photos
Thanks Ron, I thought as much, a couple or more years ago we had a very hard late frost, maybe April one of my apple trees developed a split in its trunk that I put down to "the sap rising" and freezing, it healed and is still producing or did last year, now I look at trees in a different light, is it best for wine or wood turning.

That's interesting about sycamore, I wonder if this is the same a "Spalting".

Bill.
fatboy03/03/2011 21:22:39
169 forum posts
116 photos
i use melted wax to seal the ends of my logs prior to being placed in my woodstore, ive never tried doing it with pva, maybe give that a go
Ron Davis04/03/2011 14:51:52
1607 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Bill, no it is not the same as spalting, the blue stain is through the affected part of the wood which is otherwise healthy. Spalting is the first stage of decay and the wood is beginning to rot, as you will find out whne you wark a piece. According to our last demonstrator the black lines are where two areas of decay meet and the various funghi and microbes do battle and the black is the casualties.

And you thought wood turning was a peaceful persuit!

Ron
John Kinch04/03/2011 18:32:20
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi all, I was in the park today and they were felling some holly trees and I obtained a piece about 6" dia. x 10" long. Has anyone had experience of turning holly? and is it best to turn it wet or dry it first? The ends looked very damp possibly too wet to turn.

Regards john k.
BillW04/03/2011 18:52:09
711 forum posts
21 photos
Some people get all the luck John.

Thanks again Ron, I can relate to that.

Bill.
Ron Davis04/03/2011 19:54:41
1607 forum posts
201 photos
John, if you are lucky, the holly will be almost white, though it can have some colour in the wood. If it has been recentley cut then I would say seal the ends now or it will crack and split. You can follow the advice above on rough turning , or split them in half and then the wood can shrink with out as much stress as it would have whole.

I use a redundant chip frier to melt the wax, with candle wax in it.

Ron
dennis wake04/03/2011 21:16:24
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi All
on the point from Bill about felling trees. a friend who is a tree surgeon informed me that you have to firstly contact your local government and see if ther is a preservation order on it. if so then you have to ask permission to trim or fell it.he knows some one that was fined £2500 for not contacting them to trim his tree. the other point is that you cannot do any work to hedge rows from now till June/ July so as you do not disturb the birds( feathered type i may add). this may be the same for trees.
dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 04/03/2011 21:16:44

fatboy05/03/2011 01:43:19
169 forum posts
116 photos
youre a jammy bugger john, holly round here is like gold dust!
Terry V05/03/2011 12:16:16
3 forum posts
If you haven't got the lathe yet I suspect it is too soon to make bowl blanks out of the logs, even with sealer you will be lucky if they don't split. I suggest split or saw the whole log into halves or smaller but leave them long. Seal the ends and put them in a shady place. Saw or split some into spindle blanks of say 2x2 inches, they can be drying while you sort out lathe and tools, and at that size are much less likely to split. Once you have the lathe, crosscut the logs and rough out some bowls for drying.

Terry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact