By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Toys and more toys

Help, I need some ideas

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis27/02/2011 20:33:28
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Remember last December? Cold or what? When the teachers went into my grandsons primary school the day before the new term, they found six to eight inches of water in the classroom and as a result they have thrown out two, skips full of toys, books and furniture,

Well in one of those mad moments, which only come at 4am, I thought The Bury St Edmunds Wood turning club could make some toys to replace some of what was lost.

The members are supportive of the idea and we already have a few bits and promises, but some members are stuck for simple projects to make, mainly due to being new to turning as much as anything.

So any ideas for toys which can be easily made and appeal to five to nine year old children

Thanks
Ron
Derek Lane27/02/2011 21:11:40
3206 forum posts
990 photos
How about a ball and skittles. The newer turners making the skittles and some of the more advanced the balls
Oddjob28/02/2011 13:53:33
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ron
There was a Practical Woodworking issue dedicated to toys a while ago. I'll have a look to see if I've still got it and let youe know which issue. In the meantime perhaps the publishers would help as it is for such a good cause?

Richard
Ron Davis28/02/2011 19:33:58
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks Derek and Richard, Skittles have been suggested and thanks to a local building suppiers, I have the MDF and Ply for the base. Richard, the issue number would be great and I will see if a copy is available,

My own effort has taken me ages to get it almost complete, and nil turning involved, I have made a castle with what seem like a million battlements, I will post a picture when I have finished it.

Derek, we had a ball making competition at Christmas and we had a few made then, perhaps we can get one or two back, I think that a skittles game based on the pub game, the ball on a cord and the skittles set on a base, would do well

We did ask the shool and got a wish list as long as your arm

Ron
George Arnold28/02/2011 19:36:18
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
Tops ,trains,
A ball game , tops can be with or without string, George
Ron Davis01/03/2011 19:50:20
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks George, we have tops from the Christmas perty, although we are not sure the makers will part with the as he quality was so good. I do like the ball and string game, there are some maths skills in that.

I willbe going to Ally Pally and I will send a PM for a meeting place and that cuppa

Ron
Ron Davis06/03/2011 20:16:35
1608 forum posts
201 photos
I finally finished my castle and as promised some pics.

First a rod, drawn on a piece of scrap chipboard

I made a jig to cut box joints, which I used to cut the corner joints and the battlements

One side of a tower, I cut the other side to suit and joined them

The four corner towers

Get a qualified tester of portcullis to try it out, you can just make out the corner joints

Paint, paper the walls, varnish the lot and stand by for a battle!

I will post a picture of all the toys when we have presented them in May

Ron

George Arnold07/03/2011 10:50:55
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
Who's the king of the castle?I fort you would come up with a surprise, the kids should be pleased with that. I suppose you toyed with several ideas before you came up with the castle.

George
Derek Lane07/03/2011 13:21:03
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Nice castle Ron. You have to have a qualified tester other wise it can't be used.

George do you think this would KEEP him in food making these

Edited By Derek Lane on 07/03/2011 13:21:17

Ron Davis07/03/2011 13:45:27
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Actually the school suggested it, but I thought I would take a PUNt at it, as I am a tower of strength!

Ron

George Arnold07/03/2011 15:37:46
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Derek
I must say in his DEFENCE I do not have the reMOATest idea if he can earn his KEEP making castles, I don't think this is a BATTLEMENT for Ron to take on!

Ron
On a more serious note would some of the tops I pictured be of any use? I will bring some on Saturday if you don't want them I will not be offended..

George
Ron Davis07/03/2011 20:33:00
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks George, one thing the school said was that tops will be good, i suppose you will want two cups of tea now

Ron
Doug08/03/2011 08:46:10
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Ron, Your fort looks excellent, well done.

Good on you & your club for helping out

Baz
edwood20/07/2011 10:52:22
9 forum posts
Are there any designs for toys? I am brand new and want to make a start on small projects but have not a clue how to start. Eddie Edwood
Ron Davis20/07/2011 20:36:43
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Eddie,try the internet, Amazon and play .com will do for a start. The castle is similar to the plans I bought rom Hobbies of Derham their web site is
Alwayshobies.com
Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact