doughnut chuck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

dennis wake24/02/2011 23:20:45
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi All
as i was looking through Malcolm tibbetts book on segmented turning i seen this chuck.

it is so simple to make. all you need is 2 rings of 3/4 ply. drill a chucking point in the center of the 2 rings. then secure the 2 rings together and true them up and also take the center of the outside ring on a slight shampher.

then you need to drill 3 hols for your thread bar. remove the securing screws and mark indexing points and also mark the back face of the chucking ring . you are now ready to try it out . fit your bowl / vase central then tighten the 3 thread bars to hold it.the base of this vase was turned using this chuck.

this was the first time i used it and was rather scary
BillW25/02/2011 09:51:54
711 forum posts
21 photos
Thank you Dennis, one for my archive.
I'm not doing any turning at the moment, to much going on in my life.
I really must get round to buying a couple of books/DVD's.

Bill.
Eric Harvey 125/02/2011 10:32:26
221 forum posts
81 photos
nice one dennis,the simple things are ood aren`t they and work so well.
Ron Davis25/02/2011 18:57:48
1608 forum posts
201 photos
When I saw the thread title I thought, why turn a doughnut?

Nice one Dennis, I will look out for your entry at Ally Pally

Ron
dennis wake25/02/2011 19:19:14
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Bill , Eric and Ron
the malcolm tibbetts book is a hive of ideas i have yet to try. this is one that i will be using more of . the speed was a bit high for the second try but there was no wobble as i had centred the bowl and took little cuts.
Ron all i will say at this point is you will realise strait away which one is my entry ( well i would think you will) not long now every one at work is asking when the comp is .
dennis
Alan T.25/02/2011 21:10:08
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Well done Dennis, Nice one . Hope you are successful at the comp. Cheers Alan T.
George Arnold01/03/2011 20:12:53
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Looking at the doughnut chuck, i have dug out a universal one I made a while back, it is based on a large face plate, you fit a diffrent ring to suit the bowl you want to hold.

Hope it is clear how to use it, George
BillW01/03/2011 21:51:53
711 forum posts
21 photos
Brilliant idea George, perfectly clear to me, thanks for posting it.

Bill.
dennis wake01/03/2011 22:07:29
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi George
good idear may be able to use that idea. only thing is that my lathe has only got a 9" over the bed hight. but will be able to swivel it to the side to use.
dennis
Simon Reeves01/03/2011 23:38:05
622 forum posts
227 photos
I love the idea of the multi use rings George. Dead simple but also dead effective. I have the same problem as Dennis, i.e. only a limited height over the lathe bed. It's all very well saying "bring up the tailstock to support the piece" whilst you remove the chucking foot, but what if your bowl is 20" across??? I've tended to use a recess on bigger bowls rather than an external "foot", so I'll definitely have to give that one a go (lots cheaper than Cole jaws too!)

Simon
George Arnold03/03/2011 20:52:28
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Hi guys
You'll probaly say I am teaching grand mother to suck eggs, if you make one up you will need a selection of different length screws, and a word of safety keep the head flush with the face, do not allow the rods or screws to project towards your hands it only takes a moment of loss of cocentration to do a lot of damage to your pinkies!

George
BillW03/03/2011 21:21:31
711 forum posts
21 photos
Very true George, I had a couple of accidents when I was metal turning, non needing hospital treatment but I have noticed as my confidence grows in wood turning I tend to look at other thing as I am turning, a bad habit of mine, thinking to far ahead.

Bill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact