By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Home made tool rest

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BillW20/02/2011 22:50:55
711 forum posts
21 photos
I wanted to turn a Wren nesting box, when I got to hollowing out the body I couldn't reach inside with the standard rest supplied with the lathe so decided to make my own, I had some 16mm ground bar, chopped it up with an Evolution Rage3 mitre saw.
Evolution used to advertise on here , I can highly recommend this saw it cuts through metal as if it was cutting wood.

Here it is all glued together, I'm no expert welder but it held together.

And the finished nesting box, I was not aiming for a good finish, to much to learn on this project.

I hope they enjoy it.

Bill.

Edited By BillW on 20/02/2011 23:06:46

Wolfie21/02/2011 12:20:05
406 forum posts
76 photos

Well done Bill. I would never have thought that the evolution saw would have made it through 16 mm bar, shows what I know! Very nice end result .

cheers Ian
BillW21/02/2011 14:11:12
711 forum posts
21 photos
Neither did I Ian, I bought it because I have a wood burner, I get given all sorts of wood and got sick and tired of hitting nails with my jig saw.
At 25 quid a blade, I had to build up the courage to go for it, virtually NO sparks, just like cutting hard wood and it has made no difference to the blade, I have since cut the blanks for the Hawthorn pen.
Watch the video, I can vouch for it.

I can't remember where I got the bar from, had it ages but being ground I doubt that it's mild steel.

Bill.
Derek Lane21/02/2011 17:16:55
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Great tool rest Bill. Could you have bent the bar this would give a smoother transition at the end or was it a case of being to short.

And by the way your welding is 100 X better than mine(mine looks like chicken s***)
BillW21/02/2011 17:29:26
711 forum posts
21 photos
Plenty thoughts on more rests Derek, I had tried the rest that came with the lathe to work inside the nest and had a jamb so thought it was time to make something to get in there.

The only thing I can say about my welding is I make sure I get good penetration then the angle grinder makes it look acceptable.

Bill.
Derek Lane21/02/2011 17:52:31
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I recently brought one of the sorby rests made from round bar and found that the tool runs along it better than the rest that comes with the lathe

Did forget to mention the bird house great job looks great the birds will love it

Edited By Derek Lane on 21/02/2011 17:53:41

paul johnson 221/02/2011 19:15:33
197 forum posts
100 photos
Tidy job there Bill that's one of the jobs on my to do list whats the dimentions of the nest
thanks Paul
BillW21/02/2011 20:13:36
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hi Paul,
It was turned from a 4" square of pine, it has ended up about 3 3/4 diameter and about 6" tall overall not including the leaf.

Out of interest I have a Wren nesting box in the garden that has about half a dozen Wrens living in it but it has taken a beating this winter so I thought I would make them another.
I know your not supposed to paint bird boxes but I wanted it to look like an acorn maybe in a years time they will move house.
It was only one coat of frame stain.

Bill.
Alan T.25/02/2011 20:27:55
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Bill, Like both your projects they are great. the birds will love it. Well done Cheers Alan T.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact