By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Forstner bits

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Casey14/02/2011 21:22:35
7 forum posts
Can anybody tell me which are the best make of Forstner bits on the market? i want to buy them one by one, as i've had enough of the cheapies (5 for a tenner). i only use them for my workshop at home so they don't need to be diamond tipped, lol,. but decent HSS bits would be ideal. Thanks in advance for your experienced knowledge.
Simon Reeves14/02/2011 22:56:32
622 forum posts
227 photos
Hi Chris

Clico make some of the best Forstner and sawooth bits, and the Colt ones from Germany are superb (razor sharp and top quality). Neither are cheap though -Clico start at at over £20 each and Colt at about £24 from Axminster Tools. I'm sure you can get them cheaper if you shop around.

Simon
Andy King14/02/2011 23:45:22
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Chris,

Another one to consider are Famag bits.
Matthew Platt at Workshop Heaven who is a member here sells them and they are excellent bits.
This link...►► FAMAG 1622 Series Bormax Forstner Bits ◄◄ takes you to the Famag standard forstner bit page on his website.
There's a good deal on a five piece set at the moment.

hope this helps.

cheers,
Andy

Edited By sparky on 15/02/2011 12:49:05

Julian15/02/2011 09:21:51
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Chris, I bought this set from QVC just before christmas. I have used one or two of them and found they are good enough for me. I wanted some holes drilled in laminate flooring so if the drills were wrecked it didn't matter but for £15 they worked great. I have used them in UPVC as well as wood with no problems or vibration, I have only used them in a pillar drill and at quite a slow speed.

Olly Parry-Jones15/02/2011 09:57:21
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Wealden's Sawtooth forstner bits are very good for the price. It's only a shame they don't do them in sets.
Chris Casey15/02/2011 17:45:14
7 forum posts
Thankyou for the advice, brilliant, its the only way to find out things, and thats from people who have used them. will be on the net for the next few hours looking arond.
HAPPY SAWDUST MAKING!! Thanks again.
alex bloor15/02/2011 22:07:57
4 forum posts
Festool do a nice set, there made by zobo in Switzerland i think!! you get 5 in the set bit pricey but damn good bits.
Julian16/02/2011 09:23:32
553 forum posts
28 photos
You tend to get what you pay for Alex. I can remember paying about £25 for a 1" bit a number of years ago to insert a brass emblem into the Mahogany Diplay Cabinet in the foyer of our building. I have never used one that cut so perfectly and smoothly. unfortunately like all good things it disapeared from my tool box when I was away from work for a few weeks.
Chris Casey16/02/2011 17:35:51
7 forum posts
Thanks Alex, will check them out as well. had a look round t'net last night, looks like i will have to part with some decent sums of cash, but it will be worth it. would be cheaper to get them in America, as usual! could ask HRH if he could get me some next time he pops over there.
Alan T.16/02/2011 20:54:34
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Chris, De Walt also market a decent set and they are very versatile in that the centre point is exchangeable for a screw similar to the old fashioned gimlet which pulls it into the timber being drilled. Again a bit expensive. Cheers Alan T..
Chris Casey17/02/2011 18:08:16
7 forum posts
Thanks Alan, all information gratefully recieved, will have a look at 'em. Chris.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact