By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Myford Mystro

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h07/02/2011 10:42:14
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hello all,

just thinking about purchasing my first lathe (had a clarke - that was not a lathe!)

- seen a Myford Mystro up for grabs at £500 - the red one - looks good comes with a decent chuck - your thoughts would be very much appreciated!
BillW07/02/2011 11:50:56
711 forum posts
21 photos
Drool
Never seen one in the flesh but it looks a very capable lathe and if it hasn't got V/S it would certainly be worth investing in a conversion.

I'm off now into a dark room to sulk

Bill.
Ron Davis07/02/2011 19:11:13
1608 forum posts
201 photos
I used one belonging to Chris Child when I did a basis training course years ago. Tey cost around a grand new and it was a treat to use. One person who does use one is Ian Wilkie and as far as I can tell has had it for some years.

Ron
George Arnold07/02/2011 20:22:57
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Steve
It looks like a lot of lathe for the money, I see it is in your neck of the woods,well the same county. perhaps it is close enough to have a look at it? I see that no one has bid as yet, I don't know if that's a bad sign. I don't think the head swivels they are a well made lathe , what would you buy for the same money for a new lathe and all the bits with the lathe. ?

George
steve h07/02/2011 20:33:27
403 forum posts
128 photos
Bill, Ron, George - i was looking for something with V/S, but I realise looking around that getting a good basic lathe is the starting point and adding later.

it does look very well made - I think maybe others maybe put off as it is not the model with the V/S

Saying that, it does not need the same level of kit to convert it to a V/S though? Does it need just an inverter, rather than the motor and everything else with the 3 phase jobbie?

I joined the West Pennine Woodturners club in January and they are a great bunch of lads - but I have not got a lathe and really want to get turning!

I thought that this Myford would get me on the right tracks and get me started - is it good value for money - I know nothing about lathes really - but learning fast! (ish)

Edited By steve h on 07/02/2011 20:35:33

jack dusty09/02/2011 17:52:41
12 forum posts
Hi Steve, and all,

I have the Myford Mystro Vs model, bought this in 1994 apx, great lathe, the inverter packed up five or six years ago, Myford were not interested then,( going through difficulties due re-organisation then I believe) and I subsequently had the inverter replaced by Grantham Electricals. (very helpful).

Aftermarket speed conversions are advertised in the woodworking mag's.

Apart from my inverter fault, I would heartily recommend the Mystro, it is a superb, well made and very solid lathe, go for it Steve and good luck.

kind regards

Peter.
jack dusty09/02/2011 18:08:21
12 forum posts
Hello again Steve,

I should also add, the Mystro does also have a super swivel headstock.

regards Peter.
steve h09/02/2011 18:35:30
403 forum posts
128 photos
Thanks Peter,
I was successful with my winning bid and pick up my lathe tomorrow evening (?475), and I am really looking forward to getting started.

Thanks to you all again for your comments, it was George's comments that helped to finalise my thoughts.
BillW09/02/2011 19:43:11
711 forum posts
21 photos
I'm very pleased for you Steve, if you need any help/advice lining it up give me a PM.

If in the future you what to convert it to V/S there's a company at Blackburn, prices start at £330, link

Have fun,

Bill.
steve h09/02/2011 21:42:41
403 forum posts
128 photos
Thanks Bill, very much appreciated - what do you mean by getting it "lined up"?
BillW09/02/2011 21:56:42
711 forum posts
21 photos
Hi Steve,
Metal is not as rigid as some may think, you need to make sure the bed is level and true ,, no twist, then check the head and tail stock to be true to the bed, I used to make woodworking machinery, some BIG stuff.

P.M. sent.

Bill
steve h10/02/2011 23:37:11
403 forum posts
128 photos
Well, picked up the lathe tonight and nearly pulled my tripe carrying it into the garage myself - bloody stupid of me really!

Anyway - its now in situ and had my first ever go - you guys do make it look easy!

First go and not pretty, although the shape was there the finishing was - embarrassing!

Then I tried to use a straight skew chisel to smooth the outside of the bowl!!!!!

I now have my first bruise as testament to what not to do!

A little bit more reading I think!

Well pleased with the lathe - lovely bit of kit!
Derek Lane11/02/2011 12:05:33
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Steve don't know what books you have but the one I found most useful is Keith Rowley's "Woodturning a foundation course" after 2 years of turning I found this opened my eyes to some of the techniques I was using.

Would love to see some pictures of the lathe sound like a good machine
Simon Reeves11/02/2011 13:00:29
622 forum posts
227 photos
Looks pretty good in the photos Steve. As you found, using a skew to scrape the outside of a bowl is probably not really a good idea though . If you're going to do it, use a proper scraper, or shear scrape with a newly sharpened gouge. If you''re relatively new to turning, whatever you do, don't be tempted to use a roughing gouge to shape a bowl. They aren't anywhere near heavy or strong enough and could easily be broken or snatched out of your hands and possibly thrown towards your legs .

Derek's advice about Keith's book is excellent as always. It definitely makes very good reading. I would recommend it.

Simon
steve h11/02/2011 13:12:40
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Derek, Simon - the Mrs bought me the Phil Irons book, which looks very good!

Just been and purchased a 3/8 crown bowl gouge to get me started.

I did use a roughing gouge, but it was not a very big one, although it was extremely sharp - I have a Tormek, although I do not have the fancy attachment it only took me a few minutes to get an egde like a razor -

I was surprised (I was given a record power starter set) gouge, parting tool and skew on short handles - they do get very hot when turning!

Going to enjoy learning - it does seen very addictive this turning lark - you can make an item in one evening - I could never do that with a 'square box'.

Thanks all for your help, hopefully I will add some pictures soon for you all to smile at!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact