By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Magazine subscription

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Per Ulv23/01/2011 17:08:22
16 forum posts
Hi,

I am planning to make a subscription for either The Woodworker, or some other similar magazine.

So, two questions to all you woodworkers out there;

1 Which magazine is your favorite and why ?

2 I would prefere plans and sizes in metric units, but it seems most of the magazines are only dealing with imperial units. Have anybody found a good converter or a way to avoid all the impractical sizes you end up with if you just convert 1 inch to 25,4 mm ?
I see it highly cumbersome to start working in inches and fractals...

Any input is appreciated

Regards,
Per
Tommy mc glynn 123/01/2011 19:29:07
291 forum posts
1 photos
in ans to your 1st question for me goodworking and the woodworker are the two i buy every mounth. i do buy others but only when the have some thing i want to read and keep.
As for your 2nd question if you find a easy way around convering let us all know.
One cheet i use is lay two rullers beside one a other. wiht the impractical thoeing the imperial and work it out from that. ok you can all stop laughing now ...i sais stop . it works for me
Joe O 323/01/2011 20:10:49
203 forum posts
Welcome to the forum Per.
You have not as yet filled in your profile so i do not know what part of the world you are in.
If you had a tape measure from the British isles you would not have a problem because our tape measures have imperial measurements along the top and millimeters along the bottom so you can see what a particular demention in inches equals in mm underneath.

Imperial measurements are now  mostly only used in American publications.
As to magazine preference, I like both.
Joe.

Edited By Joe O 3 on 23/01/2011 20:14:23

Per Ulv24/01/2011 17:48:52
16 forum posts
Thanks for your time gents !

Profile updated.
I am Norwegian, and tend to prefere UK magazines over American ones, but I guess also in the UK publications it is still imperial measures that is used.

Decided to try "The Woodworker", so I am eagerly waiting for the first issue to show up in my mailbox

Regards,
Per
Per Ulv24/01/2011 18:55:20
16 forum posts
Hi,

Sometimes being mistaken is a plesant surprise !

I discovered the online magazines available to subscribers, and found that "The Woodworker" comes with plans and so on in metric units

Regards,
Per
Julian24/01/2011 20:06:05
553 forum posts
28 photos
I have had a look at both Good Woodworking and The Woodworker and both are in metric. There is something in the back of my mind that tells me that because we are in europe we now have to deal in metric measurements with imperial being the subordinate value (may be wrong on this one though), I am sure that our moderators will correct me on this one.
Andy King24/01/2011 22:16:09
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Julian,

we do work in metric predominantly, but we usually bracket an imperial one alongside where possible as we have overseas sales in the US etc, or, in the case of stuff that I review such as Veritas for example, where it's made in Canada and they use imperial as their base measurement, i'll usually default to that measurement, and then we bracket in metric.
In the case of projects we use metric as standard, although i'm guilty of still referring to '4x2' 2x2' (or Frank Sinatra wood...) etc

cheers,
Andy
Ron Davis25/01/2011 17:55:38
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Per, buy both for a bit and decide for yourself, two good mags, just pick the one that suits you best, or both if you like

Ron
Mailee25/01/2011 20:23:51
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Well I do still use Imperial measurements, due to my upbringing I suppose. I can visualise the length of something if it is Imperial but do struggle in Metric. Having said that I am a little perculiar in the fact that I use Metric for small measurements! I do tend to get a little mixed up with longer lengths in Metric due to all those numbers but can't envisage something that is say 3.6 mtrs long?? As an aside when I have written and article for the magazine they usually convert it into metric before publication.
Andy King25/01/2011 22:23:03
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
HI Mailee,

That sounds familiar - I still work in whatever one actually hits easiest! I use metric, imperial or a combination of both when I measure... Never cenimetres though.
Quite why schools insist on centimetres when in industry etc the millimetre is the accepted scale is an oddity i've never understood.
I was at the start of metric when I was at school and they introduced us to cm's, yet as soon as i got to college it was dismissed as unneccessary, only millimetres and metres, inevitably millimetres though, no matter what the size.
That said, I vividly remember phoning a local timber yard to ask the price of PAR 4x2 and was told 'we don't do 4x2 now sir, we're metric.' OK, how much is your 100x50 then?' I asked...
he replied '25pence a foot sir'

cheers,
Andy
BillW25/01/2011 23:10:21
711 forum posts
21 photos
Oh I love that last comment Andy.
Of course I grew up with imperial measurements, when I joined the last company I worked for they were in the transition of imp to metric, we had imp and metric machines and I made components in imp and metric, it all became very natural to me, whether it was imp on a metric machine or visa versa, all done in the head and yet if you say to me this is 300mm high I have to do an in brain conversion of 150mm = 6", 150x2=300 it must be about 12".
If I draw anything in Autocad I use metric, mm and Meters, cm causes great confusion.

Bill
Per Ulv27/01/2011 16:25:55
16 forum posts
Interesting discussion gents

I have been working a bit in the UK, and I believe the reson why I tought the magazines would use imperial measures in the first place was that my UK colleagues tended to use imperial measures for all informal discussions. To some extend I managed to follow the discussions as long as it was length measures, but when it switched to measures of mass I was completely lost ! So and so many stone and all the sub divisions which doesn't divide in 10's .... so confusing !!

I suppose the reason why centimetres are not used a lot in the industry, is that all measures without declared unit are milimetres, and also that milimetre is the SI unit for lenght measurement.

Regards,
Per
BillW27/01/2011 18:23:57
711 forum posts
21 photos
Per, think yourself lucky you didn't come to the UK when we used £.s.d as our currency, pounds, shillings and would you believe it the d represented pennies.
12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound.
and this is how came to use the capital L.

Bill.
George Arnold28/01/2011 20:04:20
1834 forum posts
191 photos
The trouble with metric is I can step a yard (just) but no way can I step a meter when stepping out the garden etc , I still buy my milk in pints my beer in pints and travel miles to the gallon.

George

Julian29/01/2011 12:34:57
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hey Bill, you talk to any of the younger lads in work about using LSD as currency and they would think of something completely different.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact