By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ally Pally Turnng competition

A suggestion or two for the organisers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis06/01/2011 19:54:42
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Last year I entered two pieces in the Ally Pally competition. As this was the first ever time I have entered a competition, I was not surprised to find I won nothing.

However I felt that the competition itself did not live up to my expectations and i have a a few ideas to improve things this year.

The Table, the exhibit table was frankly chaotic, with pieces put any where and I was asked to put my entries on the table myself! If we all did that then there will be no pattern. Previous years the entries were on shelves and were much better displayed.

Labelling, I wrote my name on a scrap of paper! Please could we have a printed label we can fill in.

Classes, there were no classes as such, every piece was in competition with every other, no novice, professional divide, and no theme or best bowl or whatever. I know the organisers rely on donations for prizes, but especially for us tyros a certficate would not have broken the bank.

The worthy winners, I am sure that the winners deserved their awards, but I also think we deserve to see the winning entries. Clare did say last year she had a problem with her camera, so please can we have two cameras to take the pic's?

My biggest dissapointment was that I recieved no feedback, please can we have a comment or two from the judges on our work.

I hope you take this as constructive

Ron
BillW06/01/2011 20:48:28
711 forum posts
21 photos
That sounds even worst than dog showing that I have been involved in for 34 years.
We do have a governing body the Kennel Club.
We have set classifications, age and previous wins.
The judge is required by KC regs to write a critique but there is no central repository for same.
When you enter a show you are given a number, so that the judge doesn't know who the dog is.
But of course everybody knows everybody else and who is judging where in the future.
You scratch my back and..........

To pull some good out of the above,
Your club needs a clerk  to take exhibits off exhibitors give a number and place on table.
Defined classes.
A requirement that judges write a critique.

Simples !

Good luck this time round Ron.

Bill.
Julian06/01/2011 21:19:34
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Ron
 I think you have a lot of good suggestions in your text and I hope that they will be taken forward to this year. Last year I thik was a first for the myhobbystore group and goodwood so lessons should have been learned and improvements made. Time will tell and we will find out in March when we can have a look at the exhibits. I will take my camera if I get there even if it's just for me, the quality will certainly be there.

Julian

Clare Hiscock10/01/2011 12:11:07
69 forum posts
10 photos
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your feedback, I am aware that there were some issues with last years competition and these were addressed at the beginning of the year.

This year we will have items siplayed in a secure area, either in Cabniets or behind rope barriers, this area will be manned at all times. We will also have a set "signing in" and "signing out" area and ensure that all items are clearly labelled.

The competition is again split into two categories, Prestiege and Novice. These will be clearly marked.

I will also ensure that there is sufficent photos taken of all items.

Kindest Regards

Clare
Ron Davis10/01/2011 17:24:35
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks Clare, I still dont know what to make though!

Ron
Sparky10/01/2011 21:20:16
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I Clare
xx
BillW10/01/2011 22:17:32
711 forum posts
21 photos
Sparky's comment needs moderating - Oh - how does the moderator moderate himself.

Bill.
Sparky10/01/2011 22:56:57
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by BillW on 10/01/2011 22:17:32:
Sparky's comment needs moderating - Oh - how does the moderator moderate himself.

Bill.

Very carefully Bill, very carefully

Clare Hiscock11/01/2011 09:13:10
69 forum posts
10 photos
I am very much looking forward to seeing you all in March! XXX
Ron Davis11/01/2011 11:57:28
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Especially Sparky!
Ron
Julian11/01/2011 13:30:51
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Clare
Me to
Julian
George Arnold11/01/2011 20:08:57
1834 forum posts
191 photos
And I just thougt it was a turning/woodwork competitionshows how naive I am, or is it the older I get the sillier I become .I did think about doing something but can't seem to get motivated  have not done much over the last year, we will have to see.

George
Ron Davis12/01/2011 20:12:49
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Go for it George, we can have a pensioners class.

Ron
Alan T.13/01/2011 19:35:10
1033 forum posts
98 photos
That would include most of us I suspect Ron.  Alan T.
dennis wake13/01/2011 22:57:30
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
speak for your self Alan i am just ameer lad then if that is the case. hope you all are entering the competition. class i am not going to get there so hoping for loads of photos from the comp entries from those that are.
  dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact