By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router with 6.5mm collet (NOT 1/4")

Solution sought for problem non-standard collet.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Brett16/12/2010 15:11:32
2 forum posts
Some months ago I picked up a cheap 2nd hand router off ebay (Kinzo 25C45, supposedly a 1/4" model).  There was quite a bit wrong with it (springs missing, sticky plunge, warped base), all fixed with some effort.  But it never cut very accurately, and I finally discovered why.

The collet, measured with callipers, is not 6.35mm (1/4") but 6.5 mm (which incidentally explains why it was always so hard to secure the 1/4" bit safely).  It also means that even with the collet nut hard down, the shank of the bit was still loose at the motor end of the collet (you could wiggle the bit slightly from side to side).

The collet & nut are clearly designed for this router (the diameter threading on the nut is correct for the spindle, the nut fits exactly onto the collet head, and the collet is a perfect fit to the taper on the spindle).

As far as I can see, the router is essentially useless, since bits don't come with 6.5mm shanks.  But before consigning it to bin I thought I'd ask the experts .

Am I wrong in thinking a 6.5mm collet is completely non-standard (and useless)?  Has anybody come across this (or similar) problem with non-standard collet size?  Can anyone suggest a way round the problem? (I mean a way that's economically feasible, since the tool isn't worth much).

Thanks for any suggestions.
Big Al16/12/2010 17:39:23
1598 forum posts
73 photos
Try trend for a new collet, click here for their collets. They do a replacement collet for the 25C44 and 25C46EP models, maybe one of them will fit yours.

They do list your router and state that it comes with a 1/4 inch collet.

My guess is that your collet is either worn, or your bits are 6mm not 1/4 inch bits. I wouldn't have thought that 0.15mm would give you that much of a problem.Have you checked the bearing at the bottom of the motor where your collet and nut attach to? If this is worn it would explain the wiggle.

Personally I have never had this problem with any of my routers, both past and present.

Good luck

Al 

Chris Brett17/12/2010 16:52:08
2 forum posts
Hi Big Al,

many thanks for your reply.

I checked out the trend site, and the collets for the other Kinzo look different to mine (e.g 3 slots instead of 4 on mine).  Still, it might be worth a punt - they're not xcpensive.

I'm sure the problem isn't with the bits (that was my first thought) - they work fine in my little Bosch 500A, and are 6.35mm by the calipers.  I'm sure it's the collet because I tried it with a 6.5mm drill bit, which is a beautiful snug fit, tightens nicely under gentle pressure, and there is no evidence whatever of wobble (either when I try to move it lateraly by hand nor when I spin the motor & watch the end of the bit).  By contrast, with an 'imperial'1/4" drill bit the fit is sloppy, it is difficult to tighten securely, and the tip of the bit wobbles significantly.

Even though the fit is strangely accurate to the 6.5mm shank drill bit and the bore of the collet looks clean, I think you must be right that it is due to wear.  The alternative is scary : that Kinzo released a product which was intrinsicaly unsafe and unuseable.

Or maybe that's why they went out of business!  

Thanks again for your input and your time.

Chris
Denis Johnston22/11/2015 18:47:00
1 forum posts

Some router bits are 8mm and designed for this. This router originally came with split sleeve which had o/d 8mm approx and inner 6.35mm to convert.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact