By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Formica or similar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Jones 411/12/2010 00:41:38
45 forum posts
1 photos

I'm about to build myself a router table and I'm trying to source some Formica or similar material for the top.

Has anyone any ideas where I can source some material cheaply please.

I live in West Bromwich so can pick up in surrounding areas or pay postage if to far away to collect.

Regards

Paul

dennis wake11/12/2010 04:06:33
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Paul
 i have found this >>company<< in west bromwich you may want to contact.
  dennis
Dominic Gibbens11/12/2010 12:10:58
12 forum posts
Hello,

When the weather gets warmer I am going to do the same. I have bought a piece of 12mm Tufnol ,600 x 600 from Direct Plastics which cost about £22.00, you could of course buy a smaller size or thiner for less or just buy enough to make an insert. .I intended to cut this down to 600 X 400

It is my intention to cut a hole for the router in a piece of MDF glue the Tufnol to it and then mount the router direct to the tufnol.I thought I would cut a 25 or 30 mm hole for the cutters.This would all be mounted on a ply base.

Can anyone think where this could go wrong.I did think that if I ever wanted to use a large cutter I would have to make a new  hole and then make an insert but that would be for the future.

Dominic 
Paul Jones 411/12/2010 12:16:57
45 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by dennis wake on 11/12/2010 04:06:33:
hi Paul
 i have found this >>company<< in west bromwich you may want to contact.
  dennis

Hi DEnnis

I've have seen this company on the web, though its based in West Sussex not West Bromwich.

Any others people use?

Payul

jack dusty11/12/2010 12:19:00
12 forum posts

Hi Paul,

It may be worth your while contacting any kitchen fitters/installers in your area in case they have a suitable worktop offcut available, or local timber outlets who may have offcuts at very reasonable prices.

I recently sourced a formica kitchen worktop offcut for the same pupose from a  timber outlet (not in your area) 24" x 36" x 30mm,  for only £4- 00. !

Peter
Paul Jones 411/12/2010 13:03:35
45 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Dominic Gibbens on 11/12/2010 

When the weather gets warmer I am going to do the same. I have bought a piece of 12mm Tufnol ,600 x 600 from Direct Plastics which cost about £22.00, you could of course buy a smaller size or thiner for less or just buy enough to make an insert. .I intended to cut this down to 600 X 400

It is my intention to cut a hole for the router in a piece of MDF glue the Tufnol to it and then mount the router direct to the tufnol.I thought I would cut a 25 or 30 mm hole for the cutters.This would all be mounted on a ply base.

Can anyone think where this could go wrong.I did think that if I ever wanted to use a large cutter I would have to make a new  hole and then make an insert but that would be for the future.

Dominic 

--------------------------------------------

Hi Dominic

I've just checked out Direct Plastics, their prices aren't to bad.
Which grade of Tufnol did you choose, the 'Whale' version?

At the moment my table top will be 914 x 650 constructed from 1 x 9 and 2 x 18 mdf boards glued together, with an aperture in the 18 mdf boards to allow the router to bolt onto the 9 mm mdf. 

My design will be a hinged top. This way I can easily add a Formica or Tufnol top of  1.5 or 2mm thk afterwards quite easily if I feel it is necessary.

The base, fence and top of my table will be similar to this design, but without the two side tracks, and will have  castors fitted

and the fence and top will also incorporate the hinged and pivot design based on this

Paul

Edited By Paul Jones 4 on 11/12/2010 13:05:44

jack dusty11/12/2010 13:36:11
12 forum posts

Hi Dominic

If I understand your intended router mounting method correctly, IE, attaching the router to a non- removable ( permanently glued) tufnal base, you need give serious consideration to accessability,  for both the subsequent removal and re-installation of the router, should you need to use it free hand, and to the ease of changing cutters etc

I would be tempted to choose the insert option to be a more practical solution for the reasons above,  goodluck with which ever way you decide on

One of the enjoyable things I find about being a self taught woodworker (hobbyist ?) is
being able to bounce ideas off like minded people and the many different ways we have of approaching the same problem, its all about innovation ? 

Peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact