By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Tabletop Lectern

Trinity in Timber

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Forster 209/12/2010 20:06:33
75 forum posts
52 photos

This little desk is for a local church. The design includes a flat front platform where (in this case) Communion vessels can be placed in reach of the celebrant and in good view of the congregation. (In a different setting, it could accommodate visual aids, pens, books, a glass of water, you name it)
Each panel is made up of several boards edge-jointed together with the end grain reversed, and the dovetails are hand-cut sawcut-to-sawcut.
The biggest problem with the piece was in keeping the ash from becoming stained by padouk dust, especially when cleaning up the assembled dovetails.

Edited By Michael Forster 2 on 09/12/2010 20:07:35

dennis wake09/12/2010 22:27:24
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Michael
    firstly welcome to this site you will find that we are a very friendly site.
    now to the main point i think you have done a really good job of this lectern. i like the mix of woods they contrast well with each other. what finish did you use for this. as i say well bone you should be very proud of your product.
    dennis
Michael Forster 209/12/2010 22:40:24
75 forum posts
52 photos
Thanks, Dennis. The finish is General Finishes' acrylic varnish (semi-gloss). We came across them at Westonbirt a few years ago and were impressed by the samples they showed us - in particular the comparative lack of yellowing on light timbers. To be honest, I'm not good on the finishing front - mainly because I can't raise any enthusiasm for it so just want something I can apply easily and get a decent result. With this, the brushes wash out in water and sanding between coats is minimal.
dennis wake09/12/2010 22:48:21
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Michael
  sounds like my type of finish as well. i think we all are like that we put all our effort in to our manufacture and let ourselves down at times with the finish we have applied. the finish looks really good.
  PS please fill in your profile so as others know were abouts you are from and your likes and dis likes.
   dennis
Joe O 309/12/2010 22:50:17
203 forum posts
Michael,
Welcome to the forum.
I would like to congratulate you on a fine piece of woodwork.
I like it very much and look forward to seeing more of your work
and i hope that you will stay with this forum and allow us to benefit from
(if this fine piece is anything to go by) your considerable expertise.

Joe.
Michael Forster 209/02/2012 17:39:42
75 forum posts
52 photos
Just in case anyone's still looking at this thread, I've just heard that the lectern is being included in GWW 251 out a the end of Feb.

Edited By Michael Forster 2 on 09/02/2012 17:40:25

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact