By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Good Woodworking No 210

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oddjob07/01/2009 19:33:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

GW 210 is scheduled to be on the retailers shelves on Friday 9th.  I usually get my subscription copy several days early but haven't received it yet.

Has anyone received theirs yet?

Richard

Ron Davis07/01/2009 19:59:00
1614 forum posts
201 photos

I had this problem last month, Jon Bentman sent me a copy later. I do not have mine this month yet.

I have ordered my Ally Pally tickets though

Ron

George Arnold07/01/2009 20:07:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Ive not seen my copy yet, must be down to the Christmas period, or the wrong sort of snow.

George

Oddjob07/01/2009 20:09:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Thanks Ron.

I'll let everyone know when it arrives (or if).

I hope to get to Ally Pally but for a miserly 50p saving I won't pay in advance.  Who knows what may happen between now and then?  The benefit just isn't worth the risk.

More importantly (I'm on my soapbox again!) we shouldn't have to pay at all.  If it were a Trade show it would be free.  It is just another case of the manufacturers, dealers and show organisers ripping off the customers again.

Richard 

Jonathan Bentman08/01/2009 11:05:00
21 forum posts

Hello Guys

We've checked with our distribution company and there has been a hiccup with subs issues being sent out, they have now been dispatched and should be with you over the next couple of days – you're not alone, even Andy King and Dave Roberts (on the GW team) haven't received their copies. Our sincerest apologies for the delay. By the way, Ron Davis' missing copy from last month was a one-off and unrelated to this.

Richard, regarding the show I should add that the tickets are £2 cheaper this year and are valid for all three days of the show, so the organisers are working hard to do the best by you. IWEX is a very different show to the D&M shows, an open market environment in effect, and because of the nature of putting on independent demonstrations and masterclasses and other entertainments, as well as the covering the overheads of a venue such as Ally Pally, it's simply not possible to make it a free show. Hope this addresses your concerns.

All the best

Jon

Jonathan Bentman

Editor-in-Chief

Good Woodworking

Oddjob08/01/2009 15:37:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Thanks Jonathan

I'm pleased to hear that my GW is on the way.

I have noted your comments about IWEX.  My own comments on the matter were not made without foundation.  Prior to retirement I was 35 years in senior management of a leading Hobby Gardens and Professional Horticultural supplies business.  I have done duty, and signed the cheques for, exhibiting at Ally Pally, Earls Court, Chelsea, Brighton Pavillion, NEC, Harrogate and other show venues as well as a multitude of distributor shows.  I do know what the costs are.

Nonetheless, I still hope attend IWEX.

Richard 

Olly Parry-Jones08/01/2009 18:46:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Thanks for letting us know, Jon. I was becoming a little worried myself!
Sparky08/01/2009 19:04:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks for the update Jon..........Thought it was just our lovely postal service who charge the earth for stamps and we get our 'first class stamped' letters at 4.30pm!.........and what ever happened to the second post we used to get!..........you wouldn't believe the sorting office is just 400 metres away from us!

Cheers Jon

Marc

Oddjob09/01/2009 11:47:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Don't knock the Post Office too much Marc.  They have their faults but are still cheap.  Would you take a letter from Lands End and deliver it to John o' Groats for less than 50p?  I wouldn't even take one a couple of miles for that.

Just wait until the PO is privatised, as surely it will be soon, then you'll realise just how good the service is now.  The only thing that bugs me about them is that they deliver a lot of un-addressed crap that I would rather not have.  I do however appreciate that the payment the PO get for delivering it helps to subsidise the cost of stamped and addressed mail.

Does it really matter what time of day you get your post?  Did you really benefit from two deliveries a day?  Does it even matter if it takes a few days to be delivered instead of just one?  Business post is another matter but even that is not as urgent as some people would have us believe.

Richard

PS I am not in any way connected with the Post Office.  Just a reasonably satisfied customer.

Oddjob09/01/2009 18:16:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

I'm pleased to report that my GW arrived with todays post.  Haven't had chance to read it yet.

Richard

Dauid Kent09/01/2009 19:16:00
217 forum posts
1 photos
hi i got mine and their nothing in it what a waste of paper its full of advertisenent again what happend to woodworking like it says on the mag goodwood working  not good advertisenent mag ???????????????????????????????????????????????????? dave
Woodworker09/01/2009 19:42:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Dave, sorry you're disappointed ~ we're doing our best, honest! I'm afraid advertising is necessary because without it we'd have to increase the cover price. It's the same for all but the most expensive UK magazines. What would you like to see in GWW that you're not currently seeing? Cheers, Ben
George Arnold09/01/2009 20:02:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Mine arrived this morning by the only post we get, I agree with Richard about the post office , the idea was that we all payed the same if we live ten miles or a hundred miles from our post office, have you noticed other names on the post, cheaper than the post office but delivererd by our posty, They keep taking away services from the post office untill it will no longer be a viable business. Killing of small village post offices/shops in the process, Of course this media is having an adverse effect on the post, emails are quicker and cheaper, but we cant send parcels etc .

George

PS I have not had a good look at this months issue yet,.

George 

Sparky09/01/2009 20:55:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I too am happy to say the magazine arrived 'early' 2.36pm and liked what I've read so far. The adverts are a thing that is a must with any type of magazine/paper, like Ben mentioned, it does keep the costs down..........would be nice to have all the adverts in a separate leaflet tucked in the mag though

Richard

With all the ways the post office delivers and all the places their transport goes too, I do find the price still high........

If you look at it like this........the vehicle must go to a certain place and if its going past an address on the way, it doesn't cost a lot to pop the letter/post to the door........I'd love to be paid 50p to go down someones path and post a letter.....if I'm going past that way anyway!

Marc

Olly Parry-Jones09/01/2009 21:45:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I'm pleased to say mine arrived sometime today as well, many thanks, Jon.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact