By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Choosing a scroll saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

An introduction to Scroll Saws

An introduction to Scroll Saws

A guide to what makes a good scroll saw and some top tips on their use.

John Cartmell10/11/2010 12:44:53
4 forum posts
I am about to purchase a scroll saw with which I hope to make toys and puzzles for my six year old granddaughter (and others) and use it to introduce her to the craft and to woodworking. I have used a Hegner in the past to teach 10 year olds as part of Technology lessons, but cannot justify the cost of one of those machines for home.

Would I be disappointed if I purchase a SIP 01350 instead?

The difference of £347 is far too much to explain to my home exchequer unless there are extremely compelling reasons - and, in any case, Holly might be off to university before I have saved up for the Hegner 1V!

Discussion of other low cost scroll/fret saws would be welcome but my requirements include:

low cost - and I''m unlikely to have the funds to upgrade in the future
low vibration - must not frighten a 7 year old using the machine
ease of changing blades
can be purchased in a shop in the UK (not mail order only)

robert dignam10/11/2010 16:39:24
194 forum posts
134 photos
hi john i have sip scrollsaw which is a good little saw the only downfall is the clamps which never seem to tighten enough especialy  with thin blades ive had at least 3 new sets of clamps on mine ,i also have a delta scrollsaw with the quick set clamp system on it which makes changing blades a breeze i personally would look for a second hand delta hope this helps 
Derek Lane10/11/2010 16:51:56
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Hi John I have a Rexon the same as THIS Axminster one and have had no problems except as Robert said with the clamps. You can buy quick release clamps to fit which I must get around to doing
John Cartmell11/11/2010 20:42:06
4 forum posts
Many thanks for the comments.

I'm feeling very let down by the industry. Where on Earth can you go to see, try, get your hands on machines? Does it have to be pot-luck which machine you get, or is there a reasonable (ie not buying one of each and returning all but the best!) way of choosing a machine to suit you?

Sparky11/11/2010 21:55:44
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Derek

Yours is almost the same as mine but, I got mine from Screwfix and did cost £39.99........price hike now though £59.94!!

works OK though...
MDK12/11/2010 12:21:27
9 forum posts

Hi John

I was lucky enough to get given an old but hardly used Clarke CSS400B 16" Scroll Saw, so basically the same model as Sparky. Which after a clean and a few tweeks works quite well, it’s basic and no frills, but nice and solid.

I’m currently making a new bench and needed some bits for it so on my way back from the office called in at Axminster Tool Centre - High Wycombe, Bucks, first time I’d been as not really near where I live. Pleasantly supprised, good staff, very helpful.

Anyway getting to the real point, they have a really nice machine show room and what even looks like a bit of a test area at the back. So it you want to actually get your hands on before you buy, I would highly recommend a visit. Not sure what area you are in but they also have stores at a couple of other locations.

Gavin

John Cartmell12/11/2010 13:08:03
4 forum posts
It's the wrong end of the M40 for me Gavin but I will explore the options. Nuneaton is about an hour away so I will look see if that's possible or if I can link a visit to one of their shops with another activity!

At the moment I'm shuttling between Manchester and Redditch so there should be a chance of finding somewhere around the two areas.

Many thanks

Oddjob12/11/2010 17:38:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Gavin
I reckon you paid the right price for your Clarke scrollsaw - £0.00!!!!  I bought a new one a few years ago and was very, very disappointed with the quality. They are noisy, they shake like hell and as they use only pinned blades are totally useless for any decent pierced scrollwork.  After only a few uses I returned it to Machine Mart and argued that it was "not fit for purpose."   They agreed that it was not suitable for fine scrollwork and gave me my money back.  I subsequently bought a cheap Axminster one - it was like a Rolls Royce by comparison!!!   I have subsequently tried a friends Hegner - WOW - that is some machine I can assure you. Despite that I decided that scrollwork was not for me so I gave my saw to my son who has produced some very nice work with it.

Richard  

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact