New site platform for GW...

...and we're going live on 5th January!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Woodworker31/12/2008 11:07:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Thanks to all of our loyal members we've come a long way since launching this site in August 2007. With over 5500 registered members, a friendly and helpful atmosphere in the forum and no shortage of images landing in the gallery each week, GetWoodworking.com has become one of the internet's prime woodworking resources in a relatively short period of time. But now is certainly not the time to rest on our laurels! GW is getting a serious new fitness regime for 2009 and it all starts with a new site platform which is due to go live on January 5th. Don't worry, all of your content is safe. We're aiming for all of the current material to be migrated to the new platform ~ that's all gallery and forum posts along with site articles, product reviews and news items. The new site will look and feel very similar. There will be some subtle differences however. For example; we'll have an additional tab at the top of the page for product reviews which I'm hoping will be an improvement on the current set up. There will be other differences too but it will still very definitely be the GW you're familiar with. We've brought all current and future website development in-house at My Hobby Store which means more flexibility, a faster turnaround on technical issues and more development time for new site features so please keep those suggestions coming. I'm sure we'll have some teething problems when we first go live with the new site so I've started this forum thread where you can report any issues that pop up. Thanks for your support and Happy New Year! Ben Plewes (site editor)
Mike Garnham31/12/2008 12:04:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Good luck with that Ben.........but what a time to choose to add all that extra workload! When everyone else is taking it a bit easy you're picking the whole site up, lugging it across to some new location, and then hoping to re-start it seamlessly!

I hope it works!

............and I hope it doesn't wreck your christmas break trying to organise it all!!

All the best for 2009

Mike

Woodworker31/12/2008 12:11:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
I shall be out with the rest of them tonight Mike ~ that's for sure! We're bound to have a few teething problems but hopefully we'll be able to nip any issues in the bud fairly quickly. Fingers (and toes!) crossed and best wishes for '09.
Doug31/12/2008 13:17:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

That all sound s great Ben.

Not that i have any idea what it means!. (a platform in my dictionary says a raised level platform) Does this mean i`ve got to take the computer upstairs.

Only joking, anything that makes the site more easily accessible, easier to use & has a spellchecker that works, gets a big thumbs up from me. This will i`m sure encourage more folks to the forum.

Best of luck to you & all the back room bods, in what sounds to me, a large undertaking. I`m sure everyone will accept a few teething problems if it leads to a better site overall.

Best wishes for 2009 to all & happy climbing Ben.

Baz

Woodworker31/12/2008 14:00:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Thanks Baz,

Just think new engine same bodywork

George Arnold31/12/2008 17:24:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Ben

I hope you don't do all that work to the engine, and then the doors fall off! good luck,

George

Sparky01/01/2009
7631 forum posts
22 photos

At last I can say good luck on hear Ben

Well, ITS 2009, Bring the new year in with an uplifting website (well, thats the platform joke gone bye!)

All the best and happy times ahead!

Marc

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Joe O 301/01/2009 03:49:00
203 forum posts
Good morning Mark, BELATED HAPPH NEW YEAR ! to you and yours, and all at the sitr! Yours in gratude, Joe O'Brien.
Toothy01/01/2009 10:53:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Ben

New Years Greetings               (for me it is already 12 hrs old 12:49 tempus fugit)

Look forward to the new site. It will be hard to beat what we have got at present especially all the guys 'n' gals who take the time and trouble to share their knowledge with us.

Toothy

Derek Lane01/01/2009 11:01:00
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Happy new year to one and all

Good luck with the new lay out Ben

so that's another new year and 25 years marriage yesterday hope the site carries on as long

Olly Parry-Jones01/01/2009 17:04:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Look forward to seeing the new layout, Ben.

Happy New Year to all - it's gonna be a good one, regardless of what you see or hear in the media!

Woodworker01/01/2009 22:55:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Thanks for all your support guys and a Happy New Year to all! Cheers, Ben
Woodworker05/01/2009 13:36:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi all, Just thought I'd give you a quick update on where we're at with the new platform. We won't be going live today (5th Jan) because of some technical issues. We're now aiming for this Friday (9th Jan). I'll keep you posted if there are any more changes. Cheers, Ben
Sparky06/01/2009 06:27:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I was thinking how good the changeover was!

Hope the issues sort them selves out mate, at least, you don't need to wait for 'outside' help this time!

Marc

Woodworker07/01/2009 14:41:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Platform changeover update: The new site platform is scheduled to go live at 2pm this Friday. A snapshot of the existing site will be taken at 10am on Friday. Please note that although the existing site will still be live between 10am and 2pm as soon as the new site goes live all forum and gallery posts made between during this time will be lost because the new site will revert back to the 10am snapshot as a starting point.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact