By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Is 6mm MDF thick enough to do the job?

Making playscale Barbie dolls house

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julia Goulding27/10/2010 10:55:38
2 forum posts
Hi
I am making my daughter a Barbie dolls house for Christmas. I am using my original Barbie house from the 70s/80s as a design which means it has three stories and a flat roof (bookcase style).

I have been looking at MDF thickness and I was wondering if 6mm thick MDF will be strong enough.

The dimensions are 120cm tall, 90cm wide and 45cm deep. It has three floors at 40cm intervals and a flat roof and base that will give the support top and bottom. Two of the floors will have central room dividers. It will have a back on it and hinged front.

It will bear no real weight, it is more whether it will support its own weight and be fairly rigid. The next size up is 12mm (in the shop that will cut the boards to size for me) and I think this might be too much.

I would appreciate advice as soon as possible as I have to buy the MDF next week.

Thanks
Julia
Derek Lane27/10/2010 11:42:07
3202 forum posts
990 photos
Hi Julia and welcome

I make 1/12th scale dolls houses and they are constucted from 9mm MDF.  I would not make they from 6mm as there is not much thickness for a glue joint. If you want I can photograph the joints between the panels
Julia Goulding27/10/2010 12:06:20
2 forum posts
Thank you that would be very helpful.
How high is your dolls house, would 12mm on a 120cm be in proportion?
Thanks
Eric Harvey 127/10/2010 17:16:19
221 forum posts
81 photos
just scatter the pidgeons,I used to use 1/8th in ply 3mm these days,pinned and glued to moldings around the outside corners,this makes a strong but light structure,probably made things worse with this idea haha,regards, 

Eric
ps,on the floors andwalls inside,small triangular moldings glued in place did the trick there,no pins

Edited By Eric Harvey 1 on 27/10/2010 17:18:09

Edited By Eric Harvey 1 on 27/10/2010 17:18:29

Derek Lane27/10/2010 18:08:26
3202 forum posts
990 photos
Julia here are some photo's of the house about 900mm high and as you can see there is a place for the floors which is routed out using the same size bit as the thickness of the material(In this case 9mm)

There would be no harm in using 12mm probably make it a little stronger

Hope this is of some use

The whole house
Showing the floors
1 of the floors you can see the dado

with the floor removed dado can be seen a little clearer

Edited By Derek Lane on 27/10/2010 18:10:28

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact