By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What wood is this and can I use it?

Help needed to identify a piece of wood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
specialbeat27/12/2008 19:40:00
45 forum posts
2 photos

Hi there. Can anyone tell me what wood is this in the image and can it be turned?

/sites/5/images/member_albums/9669/50-SDC10631.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Oh, apologies for taking the picture on a background of the same colour!

Steve

Mike Garnham27/12/2008 20:03:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

This looks just like a silver birch to me. If it is, then it certainly isn't any use for furniture making, but I have no idea about its turning qualities. I thought you guys could pretty much turn anything?

Mike

Dauid Kent27/12/2008 20:43:00
217 forum posts
1 photos

This is cherry i no just cut some up ok

Ralph Harvey27/12/2008 21:53:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Yes it is Cherry i think and yes it can be turned

Go steady if you are turning it natural edge, the bark can tend to undo and whip round,

Mike yes you can turn pretty much anything, and Silver Birch is great just wish i could find some.

Ralph

specialbeat27/12/2008 22:25:00
45 forum posts
2 photos

Cheers guys. The piece I have is cut in half down the middle....about 2.5" radius (middle to edge). How would I go about spindle cutting it..... Cut the two corners off and take off the bark? Please remember that I am a beginner to wood turning.

Thanks again.

Steve

Dave Atkinson08/01/2009 13:18:00
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Steve Have a look at the Tools and Workshop for Alan Holtham's articles for woodturning beginners. I think this will answer lots of questions you may have. I'd also recommend that you get a copy of Keith Rowley's book " Woodturning: A Foundation Course" which I think nearly every woodturner has read when they started. Cheers Dave
specialbeat08/01/2009 13:59:00
45 forum posts
2 photos

Thank you Dave. I have managed to find a second hand copy of the Keith Rowleys book online at a bargain price which should be with me in a few days. I will have to pop down to the library to see what other woodturning books they have.

Thanks again.

Steve

Dave Atkinson08/01/2009 14:20:00
672 forum posts
115 photos
Steve There are loads (shed loads even!) of woodturning books and i think most of them are on my bookshelf. One I can also recommend for a beginner is one by Phil Irons. It is one of those two part books - projects at the top and techniques underneath. It is called Woodturning: Two Books in One: Two Books in One: Projects to Practice and Inspire Techniques to Adapt to Suit Your Own Designs. You can find it on Amazon. As you are just starting if you can get some branch wood to practice your spindle work - beads and coves, for example I think you will find that very helpful. It is a cheap as this wood is often given away and for my money if you can turn spindles you can turn bowls - the reverse is not necessarily true. (That may cause some debate!). Either way practising your tool technique is invaluable and it's cheaper to do it on spindles rather than bowl blanks. Hope that helps Cheers Dave
George Arnold08/01/2009 16:20:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos
http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6206/cherry_bowl_018.jpg

Specialbeat

It looks like cherry to me and it is excellent to turn .this is a cherry bowl George

George Arnold08/01/2009 16:25:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

How do you get more writing on the page, If you look in my gallery I put some shots showing the turning of this bowl ,This is at an unfinished stage before it was polished, it was to show how I held the bowl during the turning process, I will put a picture on some time of the polihed bowl.

George 

specialbeat27/12/2008 19:40:00
45 forum posts
2 photos

Hi there. Can anyone tell me what wood is this in the image and can it be turned?

/sites/5/images/member_albums/9669/50-SDC10631.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Oh, apologies for taking the picture on a background of the same colour!

Steve

Mike Garnham27/12/2008 20:03:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

This looks just like a silver birch to me. If it is, then it certainly isn't any use for furniture making, but I have no idea about its turning qualities. I thought you guys could pretty much turn anything?

Mike

Dauid Kent27/12/2008 20:43:00
217 forum posts
1 photos

This is cherry i no just cut some up ok

Ralph Harvey27/12/2008 21:53:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Yes it is Cherry i think and yes it can be turned

Go steady if you are turning it natural edge, the bark can tend to undo and whip round,

Mike yes you can turn pretty much anything, and Silver Birch is great just wish i could find some.

Ralph

specialbeat27/12/2008 22:25:00
45 forum posts
2 photos

Cheers guys. The piece I have is cut in half down the middle....about 2.5" radius (middle to edge). How would I go about spindle cutting it..... Cut the two corners off and take off the bark? Please remember that I am a beginner to wood turning.

Thanks again.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact