By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oilstones

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete Hughes17/10/2010 19:36:10
12 forum posts
Hello all,
I am using a what i think is a Norton India oilsone,very very old,however, It has a hollow in it which makes sharpening planes irons/blades a tad difficult, by this I mean keeping a level flat edge.  I have tried to "flatten" it out but no good, is it worth me thinking of buying a modern device, diamond thing. I was going to buy a new India stone as I am a bit old fashioned and lack confidence in this new technology
All advice will be greatly received
Sparky17/10/2010 21:27:40
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Pete

I was like you with the same problem oil stone. I too had the India (combination) but thought long and hard about replacing it. I thought about these diamond stones and out of interest bought a cheap version, well I say cheap but, it wasn't 10's of pounds.

I bought the four sided and once I'd got down to the finest grit, I gave the plane blade a test.......boy, was it sharp!............

I'm not in the shed every day anymore so this stone suited me fine, if you needed a better stone, have a good look around as some go into the £100's

►► more of a range ◄◄........they will change your idea of oil stones that's for sure

Hope this helps 

Marc 
Derek Lane17/10/2010 21:30:52
3215 forum posts
1002 photos
I've looked at those Sparky now that I see someone has tried one with good results I will get one.
The other methord of sharpening is the Scary sharp way of getting an edge

Edited By Derek Lane on 17/10/2010 21:32:37

Sparky17/10/2010 21:38:16
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Derek

For £9.95, its certainly worth it.......dont press to hard when using the blue (finer) stone, if your blade is in need of getting back to basics, use the hardest and work down to the fine then, just sharpen the few millimeters from the edge as that is all you cut with.
Keep that sharp and your be very happy with the edge.

Marc
Sparky17/10/2010 21:42:26
7631 forum posts
22 photos
One thing I will add.......

Get yourself some scrap leather from an upholsterers (they usually throw some away and you only need a bit just slightly bigger than the stone, with some honing compound, rub some on the leather (on a very flat surface) and run the blade top to bottom a few times.......this will get the blade sharp enough to shave with and all this is cheaper than buying an expensive stone

Marc 
Mike Jordan18/10/2010 20:06:33
160 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Pete
Before you throw out the old india stone you might like to try the method of flattening that has kept my india medium stone and a very  hard fine arkansas going for 50 years! All you need is a piece of glass, (preferably 6mm or laminated) a little water and a handful of yellow building sand. The sand is the abrasive, the water the lubricant, all you need to add is a circular/figure of eight pattern when rubbing the stone on the glass and you'll be amazed how quickly it flattens the stone.
You can't get older technology that this!
Mike 

Edited By Mike Jordan on 18/10/2010 20:08:05

Ron Davis18/10/2010 20:09:46
1613 forum posts
201 photos
I bought a set of tose cheap stones and they were in the bin inside of a month! All the alleged diamonds fell out!

I conned the family into clubbing together an got a Trend diamond stone, two sided fine and coarse, a jig and a card sized stone for Christma cum birthday pressie! Wonderful thing over a year old and as good as new still,

One thing on the cheap stones, unless it says so on the box, only use water to lubricate it, WD40 will dissolve the adhesive between the plate and the backing. DMT do not have these problems but they are not cheap

Ron
Oddjob20/10/2010 10:19:03
1635 forum posts
79 photos
There really is one hell of a lot of male cattle excrement talked about sharpening and a lot of money made from sales of sharpening devices.

The modern methods may be quicker but, as Mike suggests, they are no better than the old methods.  Most of us here are retired and/or amateurs so the time element is of little importance.  A well maintained set of stones will do as well as any of the modern diamond 'stones' even though it takes a little longer.

I can easily get a blade sharp enough to shave hairs off with my old stones and a couple of very fine grades of wet and dry.

Did the craftsmen of old do any worse a job than their modern counterparts because thay didn't have diamond stones and expensive Tormek or Work Sharp systems?  I don't think so.  They just took a little longer to produce similar results.   
Andy King21/10/2010 23:21:50
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
I agree that old stones are good enough,I used a Nortn India for years.
\\\\\\for me though, bearing in mind that my job now means I look at all types, the introduction of dismond stones were a bit of a revolution for me.
I prefer the ease of use that they give,no need for oil or special fluids - you can buy some if you wish, but we've all got the ability to spit, and that's got me by on many an occasion!
The polkadot DMT's are good, but for narrower blades i find  they can dig in. (This can depends on how you hone)
I've used a Trend double sided stone for at least seven years and its still as good as it was then, I can get an edge in seconds,and as good as those of other types.
Of course, thy aren't cheap! 
The one area where an old stone can cause problems is flattening the backs of tools.
As they start to wear hollow, the tools take that profile,so can introduce a slight lump in the backs.
Not too problematic if you stick with the same old stone, but change to a new flat stone and you have to then polish that lump back out to get an edge.
It's one of  the pifalls of buying old tools as they will invariably been honed on worn stones and you stick them on your ownstone that isn't the same.
I've used loads of stones since the Trend, but the continuous diamonds, plus the fact its never let me down and I can get an edge equal to that of others who advocate  many different grits in a fraction of the time means its still my one and only.
I suppose for me its the modern day equivelant of  the Norton India!
I agree that a piece of leather and honing paste are wellworth it as well.
As for the cheap diamond stones? I have tried a couple,and while they cut quickly when new, i've fond they strip easily, and can suffer from a lack of flattness.
As with everything, you get what you pay for, but have to consider your needs, uses and budget.

hope this helps!
Andy

gerald meager22/10/2010 17:02:14
85 forum posts
2 photos
Hi Pete, a lot of the above is correct and oddjob is also correct I suppose in the end it all comes down to what you want and what sort of woodworkind do you do. I strive to do fine cabinetmaking  note the word strive. and for this you realy need razer sharpe tools 
So down to business  For me water stones can't be beaten I use a norton combination stone of 1000&8000 grit I get razer sharpe edges every time  thedown side is you have to flatten them virtually every time you use them The upside to that is a piece of 100grit wet n dry does the trick.  The only Absolute correct answer to your problem is do whatever sutes you best if it works for you and you keep 10 pnkies thats the way to go.
GED

Edited By gerald meager on 22/10/2010 17:04:17

Ron Davis23/10/2010 16:29:35
1613 forum posts
201 photos
Did I say I have Trend diamond stone, that is thanks to Andy's advice at Ally Pally two years ago

Thanks mate, I have not used an oilstone since

Ron
gerald meager24/10/2010 09:15:21
85 forum posts
2 photos
Diamond stone are goo the do cut quickly and stay flat but won't giv you the same sharpness a a water stone I've tried oy over a number of years and many different gades of diamond Withou a shadow of a doubt and I speak with 20 years experience water stones give the sharpest of edges to plane blades and chisels  If you want to see how to use them properly watch the David Charlswort or Rob Cosman DVDs  They can be a pain to keep flat aproblem you don't have with diamond but once you get into a routine water sone are by far the Man united/Chelsea of the sharpeningworld
ged
Andrew24/10/2010 09:25:25
138 forum posts
124 photos
Hi pete
I recently purchased a Worksharp WS3000, I am very impressed with that machine. It makes sharpening so easy and less tiresome. I have very limited time in the workshop so I cant spend a lot of tome sharpening my tools and that's why i bought a power tool. Its worth it. Worth having a look at it especially its on sale in www.rutlands.co.uk 
Andrew. 
Andrew24/10/2010 19:41:48
138 forum posts
124 photos
Hi pete
You had asked a question about the DeWalt bandsaw in another forum. Thought I will answer it here. Yes the Bandsaw is quiet loud, I agree.
Andrew. 
Eric Harvey 127/10/2010 17:37:08
221 forum posts
81 photos
I still use my dads old norton india oilstone,and its still flat,because of careful use,used to get a clip around the ear if I didn`t use it as told haha,it became habit and the edge I get is wonderful,haven`t had an awful lot of experience with diamond stones,but got a couple of small very small ones for honing while I`m working,they seem fine and they were only a tenner for the 3,regards,

Eric

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact