By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cutting a deep, narrow slit in a long shaft

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Reeves12/10/2010 18:11:39
622 forum posts
227 photos
I've been asked to make a pair of scroll holders for a colleague who is doing a BA in art. These are basically a 250mm plain wooden shaft, 20mm diameter, with slightly larger turned and decorated ends. The problem is, he wants a 1mm slit, 5mm deep along the length of the shafts in order to secure the parchment in and to cover its ends. Anyone have any ideas how to go about this, bearing in mind how fragile a small router cutter (or similar) might be, the depth of the slit, and the need to keep it dead straight? Thanks
Doug12/10/2010 18:44:40
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Simon & welcome to the forum.

With such a narrow slit i would probably use a dremel with a round wood cutting blade.

I`d make a simple jig to run the body of the dremel against to keep it straight.

Baz  
Big Al12/10/2010 18:56:03
1593 forum posts
73 photos
I have never come across a 1mm diameter, although a quick look on wealden's web site shows that they stock them, but they only have a 3mm cut length so you wouldn't be able to cut to the depth that is required.

A small slitting saw blade for a dremel or similar tool should do what you want, failing that some sort of scratch stock with a knife might work.

Al 
Ralph Harvey12/10/2010 23:34:42
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Simon

Just a thought, cant you cut a wider groove about 6mm and a fill piece 5mm to fix the parchment in place, it will be easier to cut and easier to attatch the parchment, it might be a bit fiddly to get the parchment in a narrow slot.?

Ralph
Andrew F13/10/2010 01:25:48
3 forum posts
2 photos
How about cutting the slot in a square blank of wood then turning round would be easier to hold and cut.
Or Laminate the blank from 2 pieces  of wood with a 1 x 5mm rebate cut in one piece. This would ensure that one edge of slot would be in line with centre.

Andy
Victor Hamshoo13/10/2010 18:04:41
21 forum posts
Why not send a PM to an expert Simon, try these guys I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help

http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=39966
Victor Hamshoo13/10/2010 18:06:46
21 forum posts
Whoops that did'nt turn into a 'linky', ?????
Simon Reeves14/10/2010 13:12:01
622 forum posts
227 photos
Thanks guys. All good suggestions - I quite like the idea of a wider slot with a filler from Ralph and the laminated one from Andy. Certainly both would be easier than trying to cut the 1mm slot directly, and could be made using a table saw or router table, . As I've got to make 2 of these, I might give both ideas a try. I'll post the end result (assuming it doesn't all go horribly wrong!). Thanks again.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact