By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Saw subject

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane29/09/2010 18:56:20
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Well the title made you look
Only done this as watching glue dry on the horse is boring(roll on tomorrow and I can get back to the shaping)
Brought these a little while ago for £1 each.After some advice thought I would clean, sharpen and put them to some use

So I took the worst looking one and cleaned one side
First a close up of the rusty side
And now the side I cleaned

This took about 1 Hour to do

What do you use and the methord used to clean any you find
Julian30/09/2010 13:30:53
547 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Derek,

Interesting, I have a few of these old S&J saws just like your but don't have the equipment or the skills to re-cut and set myself also some of the handle bolts are missing. Do you think it's worth sending these off to be sharpened by a pro or are they not of that level. I had thought about having a go and buying a setter with some files but didn't want to ruin what could be a good saw. What are your thoughts on these old saws ?
Would it be worth spendinf money on or would that money be better spent on something like a PAX from Axminster.

Julian

Malc30/09/2010 19:41:52
411 forum posts
63 photos
Julian,
I think that these "saw doctors" although skillful are not rocket scientists. They all had to start somewhere.
Why dont you give it a go.
Mlac.
Derek Lane01/10/2010 21:33:45
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Julian
If you are going to spend money on a good saw then it is worth getting it sharpened by a good Saw Doctor
The saw I have cleaned I will try and sharpen myself have already sharpened a rip saw with success so this one which cost only a £1 coin is no loss if I muck it up. Going to see how much it cost to send away just as an exercise.

Matthew Platt10/12/2010 18:16:32
347 forum posts
9 photos
Hi Derek,

Nice haul! with a little bit of elbow grease they'll soon be cutting sweetly again.

Here's a couple of links that might help:

If you decide to sharpen them yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9FC6LnHT7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQxYvK-Rro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MubAmcNytAk

There's also a download link to our saw sharpening pdf on our atkinson walker saw kits page, if you feel like making some fancy handles for them there are downloadble instructions and templates that you can adapt there too.

Saw files listed with the tpi that they are appropriate for in the saws section.

If you want them sharpened we do a postal sharpening service at £10.81 (or £15.28 if the teeth need recutting) including return postage.This will drop a bit if you have several done together as the postage will be more efficient.

Oh, and for shifting the rust this stuff is very effective.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matthew

Edited By sparky on 10/12/2010 19:53:35

Ron Davis10/12/2010 19:14:43
1606 forum posts
201 photos
There was an article recently in GW which described several derusting ideas, one was to have a bucket of water and washing sodam put the rusty item in the water with another iron object and connect a battery charger to it! One day I will try it out.

Ron
Dominic Gibbens11/12/2010 12:22:38
12 forum posts
  Hello,

I have a few old saws I bought at boot sales, The handles are fine but the metal on some is pitted. I did think it would be a good idea to replace the blade and then attach back to the handle.  It does seems a shame just to leave them. 

I have never got round to doing it as there are only so many saws you need. I remember looking through the book written by the bloke with the eye patch that he uses hardpoint saws as they do the job. I can see his point.

Dominic

Derek Lane14/12/2010 19:40:51
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Thanks one and all for all the info. Mathew I have already seen your saw sharpening found it most interesting.
I have cleaned the saws with citric acid and they have come clean nicely

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact