Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The Woodworker Magazine

The Woodworker Magazine

In this month's issue of The Woodworker - June 2010

Andy Bain26/09/2010 14:31:45
2 forum posts
Need advice here quick.
Having recently cleared my garage I am intent on setting up a woodworking workshop in my garage to persue a new post retirement hobby in wood. I am very practical and have always been a maker/mender but intend to spend some money on equiptment. A few days ago I recieved my latest from Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-mb1933-portable-thicknesser-prod801596/ only to discover I had not read the info correctly and ordered this insted of the planer/thicknesser http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-mb9020-benchtop-planer-thicknesser-prod801599/?sessionid=99e3009ed54b231ae6911d8dd07cf48bc6451944
(begs the question who''s the thickest - me or the planer)
anyway heres the dilema. I think I can return it within seven days and swap it FOC. So should I.
I have a good 260mm bench saw so I can square edges, an electric hand planer, a router and will be getting a table at some point. So do I need to swap or am I better sticking with what I got.
Please advise soon as times running out
Thanks
Derek Lane26/09/2010 15:12:36
3215 forum posts
1002 photos
I would go for a planer/ thicknesser. If the money would stretch to it I would go for THIS ONE
Oddjob26/09/2010 21:46:42
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I think that Derek's recommendation is probably good value, however if you have ample space then separates is the way to go.  Switching from surface planing to thicknessing on a dual function machine will always be a pain, no matter how quick.  I also suggest you look at second-hand.  You will get better quality for your money - a good old 'un is always better than a new mediocre one.

Richard
Andy Bell27/09/2010 14:56:13
156 forum posts
43 photos
Andy, I've got a Woodstar that looks very similar to Axminster planer thicknesser. I've reviewed mine and come to the conclusion it's OK for the money. It does have it's faults but there are workarounds.  Hopefully the Axminster version has addressed the problems, but the review might give you some pointers for what to check.

I agree with Richard, the same money will buy more quality second hand. 

Andy

Andy Bain27/09/2010 17:38:28
2 forum posts
Thanks for your replies so far, it certainly helps me make my decision.
Cheers fella's
Andy 
Derek Lane27/09/2010 19:59:00
3215 forum posts
1002 photos
If you are tight for space then a 2 in 1 machine (As I showed above) will be ideal. If more room then Richards suggestion 2 separate  machines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact