By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Being Lazy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane26/09/2010 14:19:07
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
While I am repairing the horse thought I would just do a little job in purring a small table onto the morticer.

Thought I would be lazy and not bother to get power tools out and do it by hand tools only.

The out come of this is it took twice as long(downside) on the other hand I found that I was really getting more enjoyment out of it (upside).

How many of you have found this

Edited By Derek Lane on 26/09/2010 14:19:40

Alan T.27/09/2010 11:22:56
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Derek,  I have exactly the same feeling when I carve a twisted candle stick or similar using  hand tools instead of a router. It makes the satisfaction factor increase several times over. When I look at say the carving on the altar screen in a Church for instance,I really do appreciate the skill level and sheer hard work involved, purely because of the efforts in my own workshop. Cheers   Alan T.
Doug27/09/2010 17:00:27
3415 forum posts
35 photos
There is  satisfaction to be gained when the opportunity to do something by hand arrises, but usually time constraints prevent this.

baz  
Derek Lane27/09/2010 19:49:12
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Alan
That is something I want to have a go at a twisted candle stick. And yes I agree the workmanship that goes into those carvings

Baz
Time is one thing I have plenty of. But if you are doing it for a customer I don't think they would want to wait the time it would take also the extra it will cost in labour charges. I do it for the enjoyment.
Ralph Harvey28/09/2010 23:21:48
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I think that is one of the advantages of turning, you get to work with your hands whilst using the machinery ?

But there is nothing as pleasing as finishing off a piece by hand whether it be sanding, sealing and polish or embelishing it in some way by carving etc. but as you say Derek it is only ever for yourself !

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact