By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Two steps back

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane26/09/2010 14:13:39
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Or should I put that another way two legs to replace. Yes you read correct whilst shaping the horse(outside) went into the workshop came out tripped over my own feet (who put them there).

Any way the out come was I knocked the horse off of the workmate.

The horse being upside down rolled around landing on two of the legs(side ways).

So until I remake them there will be a short delay in the building. As you don't really want photo's of the legs being remade

However will try and Photograph the damage later
Derek Lane26/09/2010 15:17:56
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Well here is the offending legs

At least I had not spent ages shaping them
Doug26/09/2010 16:37:19
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Sorry to read that Derek, i hope you are in better shape than the horse & have nothing damaged.

Cheers.

Baz  
Sparky26/09/2010 17:58:15
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Oh what a bummer Derek, you clumsy fooooool

Cant you glue them up mate?

Being MDF surely a good glue would do the job, just carefully snap the broken part off and glue it back again..........if this fails, you can make another lot...........try the easy way first mate
George Arnold26/09/2010 21:16:56
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Derek
 Sorry to hear of your disaster, falling at the first jump ,hope you are unscathed,

That is the trouble with MDF it has no strength . if it had been ply it probably  would have survived, perhaps a layer of ply could have been incorporated in the design to strengthen it  .

Excuse the pun. " is it to late now the horse has bolted"

George

Derek Lane26/09/2010 21:41:15
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Thanks Baz

Posted by George Arnold on 26/09/2010 21:16:56
:

That is the trouble with MDF it has no strength . if it had been ply it probably  would have survived, perhaps a layer of ply could have been incorporated in the design to strengthen it  .

The way it fell George I don't think it would have made much difference

Posted by sparky on 26/09/2010 17:58:15:
Oh what a bummer Derek, you clumsy fooooool

Cant you glue them up mate?

Being MDF surely a good glue would do the job, just carefully snap the broken part off and glue it back again..........if this fails, you can make another lot...........try the easy way first mate
 Yes to the first part

I wouldn't be happy just to re glue

sad sam27/09/2010 09:25:07
609 forum posts
251 photos
hi derick
the horse is coming along nicely forget the upsetof the legs mdf would not have been my choice of material but dont worry about it being to weak once built and on the stand there is only downward pressure it will be fine
i would like to offer some advice on finishing traditionally painted horse are given several coats of GESSO before paintingthis is cheap and easily put on it drys to a smoth hardened eggshell finish and will completely hide all the mdf hairs making painting easy once painting is completed two or three coats of ronseal diamond hard gloss varnish and it will look superb
if you find the rocking horse shop fanfoss york they will supply you with what you need

sadsam
Derek Lane27/09/2010 19:32:04
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks for the info Sadsam I will be contacting the Rocking horse shop later. But first I want to get on a little bit further first.

Managed to repair the front leg today will do the other one tomorrow
Alan T.27/09/2010 20:07:31
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Derek, Like me I bet you wondered if you had run over several black cats.A few blue feathers flew as well I bet. I'm sure you will soon have it back on track and look forward to seeing more progress.  Good luck with it.    Alan T.
Derek Lane28/09/2010 19:25:28
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Alan only 1 word out of my mouth and it began with S say no more (and I don't put it in tea)

Well front leg fully replaced, back leg made and glued and ready to go back on tomorrow then back into the build where I left off before the accident
Dave Atkinson28/09/2010 21:15:02
672 forum posts
115 photos
Well done Derek  - great recovery.  I'm glad you owned up - i thought these sort of things only happened to me.  i would have also been a lot more expressive!!!

Take care

Dave 
Sparky28/09/2010 21:26:06
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Well done Derek, I knew you could do it
Doug28/09/2010 21:43:39
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Good to hear you`re back in action & making progress Derek.

Keep us updated.

Cheers.

Baz  
Julian29/09/2010 09:19:33
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Derek

I guess this is one of the pit falls of working in a confined space but I'm glad your back on track. I look forward to the finished product, I have always wondered how these things were put together.

Best of luck

Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact