By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

spindle threads

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Turning for beginners, Part 1

Turning for beginners, Part 1

Fancy trying your hand at woodturning, but don’t know where to start? Alan Holtham will show you the way in this brand new series. Here’s part 1…

Liz T20/09/2010 16:03:20
3 forum posts
Hopefully someone with a bit more experience than me can tell me why there are so many different spindle threads.
Through an inheritance I have acquired an Arundel K series lathe (at least  I think it''s a K series) and then through trawling around on the web I think I''ve established that it has a 24 x 3mm spindle thread. The next stage was to purchase the means for bowl turning. (face plate or chuck?)
but.............. they don''t seem to have the right threads on them. I apologise for my complete ignorance on such topics, but I''m a newbie on the lathe, although have managed a between centres piece. (sort of ). Do I have to get an adapter to, say, convert it to a 3/4in x16tpi? Which by my maths, probably wouldn''t work. Do I get rid of the lathe and buy a "normal" one? or do I give up on my dreams of making bowls for the family Christmas presents?
Please help!

Sparky20/09/2010 17:31:15
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Liz and welcome to the forum

I've had a look on the web and noticed a chuck size for a Nova chuck, its given as M24 x 3 RH B Line, Arundel K600 K450, I'm not sure the 3 is 3mm more like 3 inches and M24 is the size of the thread (or other way around )

Have a look on this page and see if any look like yours ►► here ◄◄

I'm sure a few members on here will know more about this type of lathe and will post their comments later.

In the meantime, try to see if there are any other markings on the lathe (go easy as there heavy!) as this will help in finding the right size for you. You could also fill in your profile to give a rough idea where you are as a member may live local and could help that way.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Edited By sparky on 21/09/2010 22:48:11

Dave Atkinson20/09/2010 20:38:36
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Liz

M24 is the diameter of the spindle and the 3 is the pitch of the threads (3mm) so the chuck Sparky refers to will be correct. (RH refers to Right Hand thread)

record power sell Nova chucks and have the appropriate sized inserts (www.recordpower.co.uk - go to the products page)

Or have a word with Peter Hemsley at The Toolpost about the Versachuck.  This page from his site shows your spindle size.

This is the home page of the  Toolpost  website

As to why there are so many I guess it's all to do with making us buy news chucks when we change lathes!

Hope this all helps

Cheers Dave 

Edited By sparky on 21/09/2010 23:27:40

Sparky20/09/2010 20:50:42
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Thanks for that Dave.

Just goes to show what I know about chucks.....I guessed 3 inches instead of 3mm like Liz mentioned

Both the Super Nova & Nova chucks need Insert I ( letter i ) (HNS) : M24 x 3 RH B Line Arundel K600 K450.

PDF files for both manuals for the chucks are............

Edited By sparky on 21/09/2010 23:28:50

Liz T21/09/2010 11:55:55
3 forum posts
Wow, thanks guys! Definately a K series! I think the bigger one though, must measure it to be sure. I'll check out the nova chucks, and then get on to making some works of art! Just a couple more things........ are chucks better than face plates? and what size face plate would be the smallest I could get away with?
Oh and while I'm at it.... if the pulley belt ever breaks, are they easily sourced?
Thanks muchly!!
Liz
Dave Atkinson21/09/2010 13:23:35
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Liz

I would buy a chuck with a screw (They usually come with one) then you put the screw in the chuck, screw on the blank and turn the bottom of the bowl with either a spigot or recess to fit the chuck.

Then you turn it round and use the chuck jaws to grip the spigot or expand into the recess,

You can also buy faceplate rings which you fix to the blank and then grip with the chuck - i have those as well. 

Your profile says you are based in Leicestershire and  I would recommend you joing a club have a look at the AWGB website www.woodturners.co.uk or the northern federation site www.nfwg.co.uk  Both sites have a list of clubs and the members will be pleased to help you.

There are many good books that you may like to look at.  i think most of us would recommend Woodturning a Foundation Course by Keith Rowley.  You may also like to book a course (ideal christmas present).  There is a list of people who provide training on the AWGB website.  

Hope that all helps

Cheers Dave 
Dave Atkinson21/09/2010 13:34:53
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi again Liz

Just googled arundel lathe spares and came up with a number of suppliers.  You could try Peter Child http://www.peterchild.co.uk/

Just have a google  

Final word of advice - i would buy a chuck with an insert and then if you change your lathe and the new one has a different spindle size (which it's bound to!) you can just change the insert in your chuck

Cheers Dave 
dennis wake21/09/2010 20:29:29
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Marc
  i am unable to read this posting as the adds are across the script has any one els got a problem.
  dennis
Sparky21/09/2010 20:33:58
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Dennis

All looks OK to me mate, is there anyone else having a problem with this thread?

Marc
Joe O 321/09/2010 21:20:49
203 forum posts
Hi Marc and Dennis,
I had that problem yesterday evening but it is cured today
Joe
Dave Atkinson21/09/2010 21:27:26
672 forum posts
115 photos
Good spot Dennis
I hadn't noticed before but when I go up to the top of the thread the ads oin the Right obscure the text,  Just seems to be this thread.

Cheers Dave 

Sparky21/09/2010 22:01:01
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Is it stil like it now?
dennis wake21/09/2010 22:22:09
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
shure is mate
Sparky21/09/2010 22:27:58
7631 forum posts
22 photos
What about now?
Dave Atkinson21/09/2010 22:43:57
672 forum posts
115 photos
still there now

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact