By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

I`m unhinged

looking for help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John O`Malley05/12/2008 18:49:00
15 forum posts

Hi all, I intend to make a coffe table where the top can be lifted up so that I can store items in the base. There will be a two inch lip all round and I do not want conventional hinges.I would like the top to swing up clear of the base.I know its a cheek but can anyone advise on the type of hinge available or even how to do this.                               

Woodworker05/12/2008 18:56:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles

Hi John, a couple of hinge types spring to mind.

1. Piano hinges but these probably won't provide the clearance you need.

2. Blum type KD cabinet hinges are available with various clearance options.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Olly Parry-Jones05/12/2008 19:18:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
There was an episode of the Great British Woodshop a few years ago where David Free made a coffee table with a top that lifts clear for storage and would sit at a comfortable height for eating. The mechanism was quite something and it wouldn't be cheap to have it shipped from America... Might be worth a look for ideas though, I'm sure you can view the old episodes online somewhere?
Mike Garnham05/12/2008 22:30:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

The hinges you want are the side-swing hinges used for opening modern casement windows. They should enable the 2" overhang to clear the rails, and will probably fit easily onto a couple of blocks. They are sometimes known as friction stay hinges, or something similar.

Mike

John O`Malley18/12/2008 21:08:00
15 forum posts

Thanks all, Mike I think the side swing hinges are just what I`m looking for cheers!!

John

John O`Malley05/12/2008 18:49:00
15 forum posts

Hi all, I intend to make a coffe table where the top can be lifted up so that I can store items in the base. There will be a two inch lip all round and I do not want conventional hinges.I would like the top to swing up clear of the base.I know its a cheek but can anyone advise on the type of hinge available or even how to do this.                               

Woodworker05/12/2008 18:56:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles

Hi John, a couple of hinge types spring to mind.

1. Piano hinges but these probably won't provide the clearance you need.

2. Blum type KD cabinet hinges are available with various clearance options.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Olly Parry-Jones05/12/2008 19:18:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
There was an episode of the Great British Woodshop a few years ago where David Free made a coffee table with a top that lifts clear for storage and would sit at a comfortable height for eating. The mechanism was quite something and it wouldn't be cheap to have it shipped from America... Might be worth a look for ideas though, I'm sure you can view the old episodes online somewhere?
Mike Garnham05/12/2008 22:30:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

The hinges you want are the side-swing hinges used for opening modern casement windows. They should enable the 2" overhang to clear the rails, and will probably fit easily onto a couple of blocks. They are sometimes known as friction stay hinges, or something similar.

Mike

John O`Malley18/12/2008 21:08:00
15 forum posts

Thanks all, Mike I think the side swing hinges are just what I`m looking for cheers!!

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact