By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

problem with motor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Kinch16/09/2010 18:39:17
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi, all,   The motor on my multifunction machine packed up due to trapped thin off-cuts. I went to start it up and it made some unusual noises and cut out. When I was trying to troubleshoot it I found one of the two starter capacitors was very hot whilst the other was normal. Could this be the reason it won't start now, although it hums when switch on but won't turn.
    I checked out the internet for a replacement capacitor but had to buy 1000 minimum from China, nobody in this country sells them. The capacitor is a CD60 300mf 50/60Hz 3.75 ins long and 2ins diameter.
    Can anyone help with my problem please.

John K.
Oddjob16/09/2010 19:34:27
1635 forum posts
79 photos
John
I feel sure that someone in this country must have something suitable.  I suggest you talk to you local motor rewind people.  One in Stoke on Trent found one to suit a B & Q pressure washer for me a while ago.

Richard
Sam16/09/2010 20:08:05
386 forum posts
110 photos
John , I had exactly the same symptons with my Cement Mixer . The switch would lock on and the motor hummmm , but wouldnt revolve even by hand . It turned out to be the winding , but proved cheaper to replace motor .

Sam
Sparky16/09/2010 20:12:40
7631 forum posts
22 photos
John

You could try this company.....►► www.awatronic.co.uk ◄◄ .No mini Order now, fast delivery.

you might get lucky.

Marc

George Arnold16/09/2010 20:31:26
1834 forum posts
191 photos
John
Put Electric motors spares and repairs in Google search there are loads of suppliers for electric moters and spares.

George.

dennis wake17/09/2010 06:18:26
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi john
   if it is only the capasitor you will be able to start the motor with a little push (but do this safly ) that will tell you if it is the copasitor or the motor. then all you need is the info of the capasitor and go to a washert repair shop and get one from them at a fraction of the cost. i got one for a lathe from them for about £12.
dennis
Olly Parry-Jones17/09/2010 22:37:04
2776 forum posts
636 photos
As Dennis says; capacitors are so cheap that it's worth a shot. Maplins also stock them, if you have one near you (have a look on their website).
John Kinch18/09/2010 18:14:07
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi, sorry it has taken a while to answer but I am in the throws of renewing the kitchen.
 Sarky, thanks for that address, but I have already tried it,thanks
 Dennis, Iwent straight out and tried what you said using apiece of wood to try to spin the motor, but that didn't work, thanks.
 OPJ, I looked at maplins sight but they only seemed to cater for the pcb components but nothing large enough for my motor, thanks.
   I have had a peek inside the starter box and found 3 20Amp fuses and checked them for continuity with my avometer, but they were not open circuit. This box contains loads of connectors and wiring, most unusual for a simple motor link up.
 I think I may have to phone for an electrical engineer to check it out for me, I don't want to do any more damage in case it is only a trip switch I can't find, or haven't found as yet. I think I will have another look in case I missed something before.  

John K.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact