By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Urea/formaldehyde resin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete Bennett 115/09/2010 17:05:37
6 forum posts
The Americans have Unibond 800 which I understand is excellent but, they tell me they cannot ship it to Europe.  Do we have anything to compare. The project I am on is causing problems using Urea/formaldehyde mixed with water.  Is there a product I can use other than epoxy which does not use water please can somebody help.
Doug15/09/2010 18:28:14
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Would polyurethane adhesive be an use Pete?
Big Al15/09/2010 18:59:49
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Hello Pete
I think this might help you! Click here.
Pete Bennett 115/09/2010 19:32:41
6 forum posts
Hi guys  Thanks so much for your quick response but unfortunately polyurethane I am told?  isn't a rigid adhesive. 
       I must admit I'd completely forgotten Aerolite but unfortunately it is mixed with water.  I'm trying to laminate  to some very tight curves and I'm finding the shrinkage problem distorts the pieces when I release them from the cramps.
  I came across the American stuff when scanning Wood Web.  From the information they gave me. Unibond is mixed directly with one of several catalitic hardeners depending on usage, setting times etc. and no water is used at all.  But, because it contains alcohol it cannot be shipped?  I just wondered if we had anything similar available over here.  I could try Epoxy but I'm not sure if they are the answer and appear to be a lot more expensive.
       Once again thanks
Doug15/09/2010 19:54:11
3415 forum posts
35 photos
the other glue that springs to mind is an impact/contact adhesive.
possibly something like timebond by evo stik.
George Arnold15/09/2010 20:26:19
1834 forum posts
191 photos
In Axminster catalogue Titebond Extended Wood Glue. it says it is most suitable for complicated , and laminated work. there is a page full of glues Page 339
Andy King15/09/2010 23:38:09
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Pete,
you need to be looking for Recorcinol resin adhesive. It's a resin base with powder hardener/catalyst, no water involved.
It's used extensively in marine applications, so a local chandlery should stock it.
If not it's available online.
hope this helps.
Pete Bennett 116/09/2010 19:26:17
6 forum posts
I am overwhelmed by your responses.  I'm quite new to this forum lark having worked alone for over forty years at making furniture. Being almost permanently shut away in the workshop  I'd quite forgotten what a great and helpful bunch of people were out there.  Thanks so much.  I think I'll probably go for the Resorcinol from Wessex Resins but having used Tite Bond adhesives before I'll certainly take a look.
Thanks to every one
Sparky16/09/2010 20:29:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Pete
Please let us know how you get on and perhaps some photos of the build......... I know some of us would be interested in hearing about it all.
Good luck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact