By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Urgent help required

disabled turner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ged Meager13/09/2010 20:50:18
222 forum posts
I have a friend who as a result of a stroke has had both legs amputated just above his knees but has full use of both arms and hands  He wants to learn to turn any hints tips or contacts you might have would be most appreciated
woodturner ged
Cedric Wheeler13/09/2010 22:32:59
154 forum posts
31 photos
Hi Ged

I don't think that having no legs should prevent your friend from learning to turn.

I am not disabled but I do sit down to operate my lathe simply because my lathe is on a mezanine floor in my garage where there is insufficient room to stand up. He would need to make up a custom bench to mount the lathe on to suite the height requirements that working from a wheelchair would require but I see no other impediment to turning anything.

I have been using my lathe in this manner for the last 10 years.

best of luck to your friend.

Cedric
dennis wake14/09/2010 16:40:04
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ged
     a verry good turner that i have seen is parelised from the wast down and is verry good at turning. i am shure if your friend contacts him he will be verry help fulin dead his name is tony wilson he is from the shefield area.ther is also a web site for disabled turners>here< . it dosnot look lik tony has a web site but hear is a page that has his tel no if your friend wants to contact him for advice >tony<
  i hop this is of use to you and your friend.
  dennis
Doug15/09/2010 08:33:50
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I would second what Dennis has said.

Tony is a fabulous turner & a very approachable bloke. I`ve seen him a couple of times & seem to remember him having a Nova DVR with just the legs shortened to the right height for his wheel chair.

Best of luck.

Baz  

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact