By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Where can I get this?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Westcott06/09/2010 16:05:27
1 forum posts
I have a serious love - hate relationship with my four jaw chuck and I have been looking for a good alternative.
I was going through the summer issue of woodworker and saw that Roger Berwick used a combination chuck to make the yew platter......
Summer Issue 2010, Page 60, Photo No 13......
Does anyone know where I get the chuck?
I have had a good look around the web and cannot see it anywhere.
Many thanks
Derek Lane06/09/2010 16:39:46
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
A picture of the chuck would be helpfull as I don't get the Woodworker. There are quite a few chucks on the market. From the article you have can you see a name or any writing on the chuck
What chuck have you at the moment

Edited By Derek Lane on 06/09/2010 16:40:24

Dave Atkinson06/09/2010 16:42:23
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Richard
I don;t recall the article but I;ll have a look when i get home.  The Versachuck from The Toolpost comes well recommended.
The Sorby Patriot chuck is also good as is the Supernova.   I also have the Axminster Chuck (the big one) and that's good too.
What problems are you having?  Perhaps we could help you sort them out and save you some money?
Cheers Dave 
George Arnold06/09/2010 17:02:55
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Welcome Richard
 You don't say what chuck you have now  or what you don't like about it, if you go on WWW.axminster, you will find loads of chucks , with a wide range of jaws, I have a Multistar Titan which is a good chuck , it depends how much you wish to spend, but the choice is endless.
Oddjob06/09/2010 18:45:48
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Try this
I have no experience of combination chucks but my understanding of the difference between these and scroll chucks is that the combination chuck allows for independent jaw movement as well as the conventional all jaws at once action of the scroll chuck.  I guess that this enables a limited range of off-centre turning without removing the workpiece from the chuck?  Please tell me if I've got it all to cock won't you?
George Arnold06/09/2010 20:19:45
1834 forum posts
191 photos
I think you will find that a combination chuck is what we now call a scroll chuck, that takes all the accessories, and holds in compression and  expansion, I don't think you can get a chuck that is adjustable on each jaw, as well as self centering as a scroll chuck,
 I can of course be wrong, that would not be the first time. 
Oddjob07/09/2010 11:06:07
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi George
I think that this may be another one of those times!
Have a look here and here too or maybe this one or even this
I rest my case your Honour!
We're never too old to learn are we?
George Arnold07/09/2010 19:22:37
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 You are correct , you can get a chuck that moves the jaws  individually , and also simultaneously. , the one I looked at is made in the Punjab by Jagdev Machine Tools,  but it looked as if it was more for engineering the jaws could be adjusted to hold an odd shaped component . rather than off center turning.
You learn something new every day,
  Thank you Richard..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact